• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is my Fx-9370 doing?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saber707

Registered
I have no clue what my Multiplier is doing.
Having major FPS drop in games due to this.
Ive also never seen this CPU hit its "4.7GHz" (Mobo setting are on default)

This is normal, however obviously not ideal.

It is a power saving feature which basically underclocks the cpu when under low loads. I can only guess this is happening in games as the games are not requiring much cpu power.

You can turn this feature off in the bios. I think it is called “cool and quiet” but I haven’t seen a bios for that chip in a while. This will lock the cpu at the stock frequency. The downsides to this are it will run at 4.7 even when web browsing.

Thanks ill have to look into it.
How is it saving power when I had prime 95 running in the background?

Thanks ill have to look into it.
How is it saving power when I had prime 95 running in the background?

Oh yeh, I didn’t really look at that. Looking on my phone you see.

Yeh that isn’t normal, it should detect the load and increase the clock speed accordingly.

Try switching it off in the bios and see what happens. That may “fix” the issue. However obviously that isn’t ideal for you.

You could also try the latest bios for that board but they’re are easier things to try out than that.

Turning off that setting fixed the issue, although i'm still having a the problem where it won't boost to the 4.7Ghz.

Can you post your system settings, will help troubleshoot? Might be throttling due to heat or motherboard not being able to handle the load.

Saber, we need a detailed list of whats under the hood to try and help. What Giga board, cooling, memory etc.

★ ᴏᴘᴇʀᴀᴛɪɴɢ sʏsᴛᴇᴍ: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
★ ᴄᴘᴜ: AMD FX-9370
★ ɢᴘᴜ: 6GB GeForce GTX TITAN Black
★ ᴘsᴜ: Thermaltake Toughpwer 850W
★ ᴍᴏᴛʜᴇʀʙᴏᴀʀᴅ: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 [rev. 4.0]
★ ʀᴀᴍ: Patriot Blue Signature Line 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3
★ ᴄᴏᴏʟᴇʀ: Deepcool Maelstrom 120T AIO

Last edited:
Not sure on the motherboard and cooling, doesn't "sound" enough to handle a 9370... On your 3rd pic - advanced cpu core features - turn these off: cool & quiet, c1e support, apm. Turn HPC mode on. In Windows set your power plan to highest or ultimate. Try Prime95 again.

Are you monitoring package temps while stress testing, say with Something like HWMonitor?

Lets see some temps under load. Post a pic of Hwmonitor under Prime load. I see the voltage popping up to 1.5v on Cpu-Z. If accurate I imagine the 120mm radiator isn't able to handle cooling the chip.

So I changed my Values in "advanced cpu core features" to the ones Kenrou suggested, along with my power plan set to Ultimate.
I have OBS running at 1080p 60FPS recording the Prime 95 load with HWmonitor temp readings. As you can see the CPU Clock speed keeps decreasing to x 7.00
2019-05-10 13-51-32_Moment.jpg

Last edited:
That Youtube video is so blurry I cannot make out the values. Please just do a still image capture with Windows Snipping Tool or equivalent and attach the image directly to your posts. If my eyes don't deceive me, your package temp is hitting 62c which is marginal for that generation CPU as far as stability is concerned. And it could be the problem is that the VRM section on the motherboard is getting too hot and throttling.

Much clearer than the video. Thanks.

Have you tried taking your CPU Ratio off of "Auto"? There should be an option for manual or fixed. Otherwise, your ratio will vary according to the power algorithms AMD has built into it.

Set CPU Vcore at 1.4v (should be more than enough for 4.4ghz) and try again, temperatures are right on the limit for FX - 60c-62c. Make it stable at lower speeds and then overclock it normally by raising multi/vcore.

For anyone that knows Gigabyte Motherboards, is this one solid?

The computer locked up at anything below 1.47v, but again i'm still having the problem where it drops from 4.4ghz to 1.4ghz.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

And I still don't understand why the CPU isn't boosting to it rated 4.7ghz.

Back