• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is my Fx-9370 doing?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Because your temp in bios is 54c and only loads 1 core.

You have a cooling issue that needs to be addressed.

Not sure on the motherboard and cooling, doesn't "sound" enough to handle a 9370... On your 3rd pic - advanced cpu core features - turn these off: cool & quiet, c1e support, apm. Turn HPC mode on. In Windows set your power plan to highest or ultimate. Try Prime95 again.

Don't forget to disable C6 as well.

C6 is also disabled

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I honest cant understand why I can't use my CPU at Default presets as it was intended. Seriously WTF?

You bought a space heater. Seriously, your CPU usually needs at least a 240 AIO or something like a NH-D15 to even run at stock let alone boosting higher. Your 120 AIO simply doesn't cut it.

Did you build it yourself or was it a pre-built from a shop?

Well, if it locked up at 4.4 ghz on 1.4 vcore then try lowering the multiplier to 42x and 1.35 vcore. You may want your system to overclock to a certain level but it may not be capable of what you want.

Have you tested the memory with say memtest86? Test the memory with everything at default stock bios settings. In fact, stress test the whole system as well at default stock settings.

... why ? It's basically the same chip, just clocked higher.

In a sense... It's just a better binning of the same architecture. Same kinda sorta?

It's going to be stable at stock frequencies where there is no promise a stock 8320 could do the same thing on overclock. It's like saying the FX-8320 is the same as the FX-9590. Now way. Would be if it was binned at 9590 frequencies.... well yea But then just as hot as one which the 9370 is pretty close to being the heat monster like the 9590.

Either way, this chip to perform well would have to be under 60c load temps. Right now not even close. I'd be pulling the cooler, checking mating surfaces and TIM amount applied for good coverage, adding radiators and fans.

On ambient I ran the FX-9590 with 2x 120.3 radiators. It was the only way to dissipate the amount of heat it would produce even at stock and mamage any kind of overclock or even OC to max boost frequencies. The chip is soo bad that even on the biggest baddest board, it was a pain in the butt to work with.

You could say this thread here: https://www.overclockers.com/forums...-FX-9590-Hangs-and-Freezing?highlight=FX-9590
Would pertain to any 9 series FX processor lol. Really difficult to work with without nice cool temps.

In a sense... It's just a better binning of the same architecture. Same kinda sorta?

It's going to be stable at stock frequencies where there is no promise a stock 8320 could do the same thing on overclock. It's like saying the FX-8320 is the same as the FX-9590. Now way. Would be if it was binned at 9590 frequencies.... well yea But then just as hot as one which the 9370 is pretty close to being the heat monster like the 9590.

(as far as i know) Same technology, same architecture, same cache, SHOULD have the "slight tweaking" the 8320/8370/8320E/8370E got but i haven't heard of further refinements (let me know if they did). Plus it was picked from the better wafers because it could reliably reach higher clocks at lower voltage/temp and/or was more stable right ?

Gimme a little credit, i did say "basically" :D

You did say basically the same yes. If the's the case the FX-8150 is essentially the same as the FX-8350 while the 8350 would be a better stepping. All that really differs them is the core name and steppings, still built on 32nm process. Bulldozer and Piledriver. Both have the same cache amounts, and both turbo to 4.2ghz.

Can still purchase new FX-8350 for 69$ along with other FX processors. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...tion=FX+processors&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Either way, totally fun platform. I spent a lot of time on it like you guys, probably too much.... but again, go cold and just have a blast running benches in the 6 and 7Ghz range. Just can't beat that. Dry Ice is pretty cheap, any one can clock these things up, just gotta keep em' cool. ;)

(as far as i know) Same technology, same architecture, same cache, SHOULD have the "slight tweaking" the 8320/8370/8320E/8370E got but i haven't heard of further refinements (let me know if they did). Plus it was picked from the better wafers because it could reliably reach higher clocks at lower voltage/temp and/or was more stable right ?

Gimme a little credit, i did say "basically" :D
It is the same thing...no refinements. Just a binned version with higher tdp, etc...vishera/am3+/same cache size and structure but higher clocks (and tdp of course).
https://www.anandtech.com/show/8316...l-the-fx9590-and-asrock-990fx-extreme9-review

If the's the case the FX-8150 is essentially the same as the FX-8350 while the 8350 would be a better stepping. All that really differs them is the core name and steppings, still built on 32nm process. Bulldozer and Piledriver. Both have the same cache amounts, and both turbo to 4.2ghz.

Different architecture, Piledriver is a tad faster clock-for-clock from reviews and has more instructions - although i don't know if it's better IPC or cache management (or both) ? - https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ledriver-deliver-where-bulldozer-fell-short/2

EDIT: "L2 cache latency is back within range of Intel’s CPUs rather than literally half as fast. Multi-core scaling has improved. Power consumption is down, which allowed clock speeds to rise."

Would hesitate to call that major steps but it is better then the tweaks (whatever they were) from 8350 to 8320/8370 ? this is splitting hairs though, it was hardly enough to save the FX line :(

Last edited:
It really wasn't major steps. It was hyped up. Instruction sets you don't tend to use normally on a desktop.

L2 cache within range? No, I wouldn't say something like that lol.

splitting hairs is me saying the FX 8300's are not exactly the same as the 9300/9500 chips. I'm splitting hairs on the binning not the architecture. It seems I need to be a lot more clear on what I say here....

What do you mean by binning? Isn't that the process to choose the best silicon out of a waifer?

I'm guessing that binning does take into account the quality of the silicon it was cut from and not just jacking up the voltage to enable it to be assigned a higher frequency, at least at the higher end of the frequency range for that product line. You could get away with just volts at the lower end of the product frequency range but you can only take that so far.

Right they couldnt sell an untested 8320 with a 9590 badge and clocks and have it fail on a customer.

Remember we are not supposed to overclock really. We are able to, but voids warranty in technicality.

So if OC was locked on X board... Would a 8320 still be the same as a 9370? Not quite.

Sorry for splitting hairs. My fx-9590 hit 5.7ghz on liquid. No other FX processor that I clocked could do that without chilling or sub zero. Even on my geothermal loop which is sub ambient.

You might try HWINFO64 to get better visibility on real time clock speeds. Easy way to get a handle on CPU parameters.

This is an example of an older CPU but still gives you an idea of what to look out for.

Capture_POST.PNG

Maybe try disabling Core C6 state? EDIT: Looks like you already tried this.

You could also bring up AIDA64 and monitor temps while you have the torture test running in the background (Prime might be a little too aggressive for your needs IMO)

But yeah, its a space heater.

Back