• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is the best Cpu Cooling Device

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jesterpab

Hi to you all, can someone please advise me on the best cost effective type of cooling system that I should adopted on my Athlon 1.4mhz, I obviously want to reduce the CPU and system temperature to an absolute minimum.
The main aim would be to overclock my present system to say 1.6mhz or greater.

My system consists of the following:

Asus A7V133 with upto date Bios
Thunderbird AMD 1.4mhz processor
ATI 32mg All in Wonder Graphics card
Kingston 512Mb Ram
Seagate 40Gb & Maxtor 30Gb Hdd
Creative Soundblaster 128
Samsung DVD & Yamaha Scsi CDRW
Realtek Network Card
Two Case Fans (inlet and exhaust)
CPU fan EverCool ( copper heat sink and Fan )
Motherboard Fan

the BEST cooling device would be either a phase change or peltier system, but they are kind of expenive. I'd say water cooling would be your best bang for the buck, but that's just my opinion

I'd have to second the ax-7 as my temps are generally in upper 30's lower 40's full load with a minor overclock. (locked cpu and system does NOT like high fsb, probabally need better ram) Those are from an in socket thermistor, but I've never seen my temps lower. :D

TyRex said:
the BEST cooling device would be either a phase change or peltier system, but they are kind of expenive. I'd say water cooling would be your best bang for the buck, but that's just my opinion

I dunno, when you factor in the cost of the radiator/heatercore, pump, waterblock(s), tubing, resevoir, and water additives, watercooling can be QUITE expensive (Read: $150-$200).

The AX-7 with a high power fan (I use a YS Tech 48 CFM, it's a good compromise between performance and sound, only 39 dBa) is easily the best "bang for the buck."

Thank you all for your advice, I will do some costing-up and decide my options.
I would really would like the water cooled option, but seems a little costly

since you live in the uk like myself then i recommend this place ther very fast at delivering (like the next day and the postage is free) the prices are nice and they sell almost all of what has been talked about!

If you do water cooling make sure you get some good advise from the people on these boards. If you go for the cheapest parts for water cooling then you aren't going to be cooling any better than with a quality heatsink and fan.

Definitly check these boards to make sure you're getting quality parts (for anything) otherwise your probably just wasting your money.

Yeah, best cpu cooling is subjective. Best for you and what you are willing to deal with~ noise~ spending limit etc. The best as in coldest physically possible isnt good if you have to limit your spending to 50 bucks. Water is nice and doesnt cost 500~600$ like vapro phase or such. But going from awesome 50 air cooling to even better water cooling for 100 wont matter enough for alot of people that are happy with the 50 buck heatsink and fan combo. Hope this helps out a bit.

Water cooling can be expensive, especially if you buy an all in one setup. Although i've found that building your own is quite inexpensive when compared to high quality HSF combos. IE:

70' chevy truck heater core $16(autozone)
pump(personal preference) $20 to 30, depending on brand
tubing and fittings $10
resevoir(4x4x4 PVC elec box) $10
water block $33(MCW462B, from newegg)
silicone, plumbers goop $5(any hardware place)
=$100, give or take

oh yeah, distilled water, $.99 from meijer(forgot that)
100 bux doesn't sound too bad when you think of the cost\performance ratio, but then again it is a 100 dollar cooling setup compared to 20 to 50 dollar HSF. I guess it's all a matter of opinion.....

TyRex said:
Water cooling can be expensive, especially if you buy an all in one setup. Although i've found that building your own is quite inexpensive when compared to high quality HSF combos. IE:

70' chevy truck heater core $16(autozone)
pump(personal preference) $20 to 30, depending on brand
tubing and fittings $10
resevoir(4x4x4 PVC elec box) $10
water block $33(MCW462B, from newegg)
silicone, plumbers goop $5(any hardware place)
=$100, give or take

oh yeah, distilled water, $.99 from meijer(forgot that)
100 bux doesn't sound too bad when you think of the cost\performance ratio, but then again it is a 100 dollar cooling setup compared to 20 to 50 dollar HSF. I guess it's all a matter of opinion.....

But that W/B is not great. It's actually pretty poor. I don't think that would be worth twice the cost of a heavy duty air cooling solution, for virtually the same cooling (Alright, maybe 2-3C less). A Gemini block would be worth it though. But that's $50 as opposed to $33. Not a big price difference, but it does go over $100.

Back