• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is usually the biggest wall to cpu overclocking: temperature or max voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timone1002

Hello i'm interested in getting into overclocking and i was wondering if temperature is usually the biggest limiting factor to maximizing cpu performance or if the cpus voltage rating is?
any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

Edit: to put my question in other words would it be possible to stabily run your cpu at 6 or 7 ghz with out ruining ur cpus life span too much if temperature wasnt a problem?

Last edited:
Your question is generally far to general. The answer depends on too many variables to have a valid answer.

If the cpu were AMDs more or less latest cpu for the desktop and you were using air cooling then temp limits are usually exceeded before reaching what we might call a max Vcore.

However if you were using good water cooling you might reach the Deneb's generally accepted Vcore limit before exceeding a generally accepted temp limit.

Max Vcore and the temp of the cpu limits are a balancing act. Add Vcore to run faster without exceeding a cpu temp limit and try and monitor the cooling or generate additional cooling to keep temp limit in check while raising the Vcore to allow faster, stable cpu operation.

Raise cpu speed > raise Vcore to make stable > add cooling to keep cpu cool during faster cpu operation with increased Vcore. It is not a one or the other wall one experiences but a balancing act to stay within the suggested safe imits triangle with the edges/walls of the triangle being Vcore, Temp and Cpu speed. Change one value of the three and you will affect the other two to an extent. How much either is affected is the indicator of what comes next.
RGone...ster.

ok thanks, the reason im asking is because i believe ive come up with a new very effecient cooling system which would be able to keep a cpu or gpu near room temperature under full load, and i was wondering if there would be a market for a system like this it would cost around 500$ retail, it would be no bigger than a standard water cooling system. i was wondering if there would be any point in developing the system if cooling isnt really a problem for serious overclockers

hardware is also a wall look what i found in my rig

Attachments

• PIC_0889.JPG
    PIC_0889.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 184
I would have little to no use for cooling that only brought the cpu core temps down to the range of ambient air and it's price being $500.00 No interest on my part whatsoever.
RGone...ster.

ok thanks, the reason im asking is because i believe ive come up with a new very effecient cooling system which would be able to keep a cpu or gpu near room temperature under full load, and i was wondering if there would be a market for a system like this it would cost around 500$ retail, it would be no bigger than a standard water cooling system. i was wondering if there would be any point in developing the system if cooling isnt really a problem for serious overclockers

hardware is also a wall look what i found in my rig

Looking at your picture as shown C_D, it would seem you were growing tiny two wired, two input legged quartz lights and one died. You were growing them 8 to a card and only seven lived.

attachment.php

ok thanks, i also have an idea for a cooling rig that would bring the temperature well below 0 degrees F, but it would be loud, larger more complex and more expensive (around a grand) which is why i was shying away from it, would you be interested in a rig like that, and why would it be better than getting the cpu down to room temperature if the cpu has no problems being hotter?
Sorry i'm new to this

ok thanks, i also have an idea for a cooling rig that would bring the temperature well below 0 degrees F, but it would be loud, larger more complex and more expensive (around a grand) which is why i was shying away from it, would you be interested in a rig like that, and why would it be better than getting the cpu down to room temperature if the cpu has no problems being hotter?
Sorry i'm new to this

NOPE not interested. Something about your posting as a new member seems to give off low-level trollish vibrations.

ok sorry, no not trying to troll, was just thinking about an idea to launch on kickstarter for cpu cooling using liquid mercury, or a more expensive liquid nitrogen compression and release system drawing from the nitrogen in the air. just wanted to know if it was worth it to spend money and time developing a prototype if it had no use

ok sorry, no not trying to troll, was just thinking about an idea to launch on kickstarter for cpu cooling using liquid mercury, or a more expensive liquid nitrogen compression and release system drawing from the nitrogen in the air. just wanted to know if it was worth it to spend money and time developing a prototype if it had no use

That would be a better question in the cooling section.

Back