• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is wrong with this FX 8120 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puzzler

Registered
Hi guys , I have a serious problem with the amd fx 8120 . It is the way it is being cooled by the Cooler master 612 PWM .
Ok so at stock 3.1 ghz (no voltage increase and all green stuff is off) with the 612 my temps are (keep in mind these temps are from 5 minutes of stress testing) :
Idle - 31c
Load - 54c (stress testing with amd overdrive)

Now when i overclock the cpu to 4ghz ( no voltage increase and all the green stuff is off ) my temps are as such :
Idle - 24 C
Load - 64c and still is increasing

This is all with a cooler master 612 pwm ( a huge cooler) ,on the other hand my temps with the cooler master tx3 (nothing compared to the 612) is wayy better compared to the 612 .

Cooler master TX3 cooler with 8120 oc to 4ghz and 1 hour of overdrive (no voltage increase and all green stuff is off) , temps are :
Idle : 30c
Load: 62c

So as you can see a 20 dollar cooler is better than a 50 dollar cooler , I dont know why , I have re-seated the 612 like 5 times already (a huge pain ) and still the same results and also add i am using the thermal compound provided with the cooler .

Please guys help me out here and before I forget here is my computer specs.

Motherboard : Gigabyte 990fxa ud3
CPU : AMd FX 8120
GPU: Evga SC 660ti
RAM: Corsair Vengence 4 x 4 GB
SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120gb
HDD : WD Caviar Blue 2 X 500GB
Sound Card : Asus Xonar 5.1
PSU : Corsair 850w modular
Case : Nzxt Phantom White ( 2 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans)

What we really need to see. Plus comparing a previous cpu cooler to a new cpu cooler is tough to do so because there are so many variables. Software Genie clocked up different and you did not catch it doing it. Newer cooler is so big inside the case that air-flow thru it is dis-rupted and it was not with smaller cooler. Variables are many.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much. Of course beginning with a setting that is 'known' to pass P95 Blend mode makes good sense, because a failed P95 Blend test is not going to give a baseline of a configuration that 'does' work.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Firstly thanks alot for replying and secondly here are the screen shots of cpuz and hwmonitor before overclocking
info_zpsa8ae4f1a.png
mb_zps9f2a0796.png
memory_zpsbc288406.png
spdz_zps375f3cf5.png

nooc_zpsfe8fd2af.png

Keeping in mind that the voltage is at 1.26v (stock is 1.28)

Here are the screenshots of cpuz and hwmonitor after overclocking to 4 ghz

h_zpsc0c3f5c8.png
oc_zps68fc11ba.png

After the overclock the temp was increasing badly , as you can see not even 1 minute and the temp is 67 c!

"Puzzler" make up a signature so it follows post to post and those that jump in the middle of a thread can see what you have. Some of these threads get long.

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature as a good template of needed information Thank you.

Your deal with the TX3 seems to have happened more than once. I don't remember the exact thread here in the last week that had a TX3 and moved to one of the closed mini-loops and barely saw any temps go down. A minor amount in other words and he was assuming he would see much cooler temps than he got when moving from TX3 to mini-water. That makes two of you in the last 10 to 14 days moving away from the TX3 to something believed to be a much more powerful cooler and the results were not nearly what was expected. Strange but his results were odd and now what you see is making two with the same situation.

I have seen another odd situation with the Corsair A70 and how well it cools at, at least 3 sites that rank a 'list' of coolers and the performance of each. Heck that A70 is way up the list against coolers you would expect to whip the A70 big time. Strange for sure but I was cruising air-cooling results lists and have seen it more than once.

Maybe the Cooler master 612 PWM is just too large in size for the case and air-flow is not good thru the 612 PWM. Going to go and see how the reviews talk about the Cooler master 612 PWM. Maybe there are clues not easily seen.

ha interesting , btw most if not all reviews say it is great and what not . I am starting to doubt them as i have bought this cooler because of the good reviews it got and yes i know there are many factors that could cause this problem .
Anyways i am sure the problem is in the CPU , the fx 8120 when overclocked to 4.8 ghz draws like 500+watts so in theory this cooler has a TDP of 200 Watt as mentioned in the cooler master website , so i dont know could that be the case !

Oh and one more thing the cooler is not large or anything according to the phantom case . The phantom is a full tower case and there is a lot of space , with a proper cable management the case should have a decent air flow in it !

this is the second that i have seen that moved from the tx3 to a "better" cooler, i just wonder if the tx3 may just be that good.

Your deal with the TX3 seems to have happened more than once. I don't remember the exact thread here in the last week that had a TX3 and moved to one of the closed mini-loops and barely saw any temps go down. A minor amount in other words and he was assuming he would see much cooler temps than he got when moving from TX3 to mini-water.

That was the thread we were helping GamerMagnet with.....

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715368
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717168

Speaking of which he got his case today and got a quick 3* drop across the board on his temps.

Last edited:
I just wanted to chime in real quick since my setup is pretty close to the OP's except me having the UD-5 and him with the UD-3, but there pretty close to each other.

Just to give you my 2 cents, I have a Hyper TX3 which I lapped to a pretty fine shine and I could push my Fx-8120 to a stable 4ghz with a max temp of 53c after 30 passes of intel burn test. Then ran prime for 2 hours and had the same max temp. I then upgraded the TX3 to an Antec Kuhler 920 all in one WC kit. 2 hours of prime at 4.2ghz gave me a max temp of 55c.

Hyper TX3 4ghz @ 53c
Antec Kuhler 920 4.2ghz @ 55c
(not a big jump, but I have drawn the conclusion that my cpu runs hotter than others at lower voltages)

Imho, the TX3 with some proper elbow grease can be a decent air cooler. Not sure about the other cooler you have since I've never owned it, but if your case isn't large enough to fit the 212, then I'd go push/pull TX3 all the way.

good luck with your other cooler, just giving my little bit of wisdom.

I just wanted to chime in real quick since my setup is pretty close to the OP's except me having the UD-5 and him with the UD-3, but there pretty close to each other.

Just to give you my 2 cents, I have a Hyper TX3 which I lapped to a pretty fine shine and I could push my Fx-8120 to a stable 4ghz with a max temp of 53c after 30 passes of intel burn test. Then ran prime for 2 hours and had the same max temp. I then upgraded the TX3 to an Antec Kuhler 920 all in one WC kit. 2 hours of prime at 4.2ghz gave me a max temp of 55c.

Hyper TX3 4ghz @ 53c
Antec Kuhler 920 4.2ghz @ 55c
(not a big jump, but I have drawn the conclusion that my cpu runs hotter than others at lower voltages)

Imho, the TX3 with some proper elbow grease can be a decent air cooler. Not sure about the other cooler you have since I've never owned it, but if your case isn't large enough to fit the 212, then I'd go push/pull TX3 all the way.

good luck with your other cooler, just giving my little bit of wisdom.

dude at least for you the tx3 gave you 53c but for me it goes up to 62c , the reason i bought a new cooler . the 612 is as big as a noctua nh-d14 but maybe even bigger . the cooler fits in the nzxt phantom case prefectly .

the tx3 comes with some crazy machine marks from the factory. Prior to lapping the base I was getting 3.8ghz @ 56c. Once I sanded it down to a very smooth surface, except for the gaps between the pipes and aluminum , I then could get the 4ghz @ 53c.

Took me a good 2 hours of sanding to get the surface I wanted though.

gl

Difference might involve the TX3 using pushpins on a light cooler getting the "proper contact" and the 612 using a backplate assembly that is not quite correct?
Quality Control maybe?

i honestly dont think lapping the cooler in my case would make any difference , the other problem is that i fear buying a new cooler and still get temps as bad as the ones i am getting right now . so suggestions/theories would be great . time is valuable :)

@RGone

but he was having issues overclocking which i dont , the problem which I have is overheating for some reason with a bigger cooler. besides i bought this chip on the day it was released and i dont think i will be able to get a replacement for it !

here look at this screen shot i took , this is after removing the 612 and installing the tx3 back on , then setting the voltage to 1.26v (stock volt is 1.28v) and the speed to 3.7ghz. 3 hours in prime and the results are ;

tx3_zps52a06546.png

Carfull with those comuter daytes .... they can mess with your activation of windows.

So I ahve re read your thread and have a couple questions ....

1 - Something I have not seen is your room temp. What is your room temp where you have your computer. As we found with GamerMagnet and proved the ambient temps will affect the temps of your system at a 1 to 1 ratio.

2 - How are your fans oriented. Top exhaust I assume.

3 - How is your cooler mounted .... fan at the front exhausting to the rear case fan.

I am not familiar with that cooler but is it possible to mount it so it blows your air up to the top. With 2 200/220mm fans blowing out you might find that it will exhaust air better like that if possible.

Something I did when I had my Phantom was I had 1 200mm fan (back) blowing down the back of the case over the VRMs and the front exhasting the air. 1 good 140mm fan at the bottom (intake) and 2 good 120mm fans on the side bottom (intake).

Here is where we are a little different from you as I had the Antek Khuller 920 in the case and was using 2 38mm Ultra KAZE fans on it which exhausted(250CFM ish) the air out the back (I believe) and there was no fan on the side wire mesh to allow fresh air to come in.

I forget the thread it was in someone was having temp issues with thier 1090T or FX CPU and found that moving the video card to the number 3 slot helped. Seems there was a dead space where the fans would not moove the air caused by the card warm air would hide in the dead spot and higher temps were the result.

This could be happening to you but with the size of your cooler the dead space is around your CPU Socket. A simple sollution may be to try and move some fans around .... or the direction they are blowing like I had done with the top 2 fans ... 1 in 1 out. Sometimes this hobby is a real trial and error type thing and what will work for some will not work for everyone.

What is your ambient temperature?
Some chips run hotter than others.

What is your stock vcore? You can find this by running "CoreTemp", it will show in the program.

Less vcore usually means more leaky. This translates to more heat and power consumption. While I'm not 100% sure about 8120s due to binning, 8150s with a default VID of 1.325v is usually desirable.

Back