• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is wrong with this FX 8120 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The ambient temperature of my room is from 27 -28 degree c .
There is a top 220mm acting as an exhaust and a 140mm acting as an exhaust as well but on the side , further down there are 2 120 mm acting as intake . The cooler's fan is positioned in a way that its pushing air from the bottom of case through the heatsink and kicking the air towards the top 220 mm fan . also keep in mind the fan speeds are on high .

Here is my FX-8120+Sabertooth 990FX at 3.4GHZ, I know it's not much of an OC but here are my temps running F@H.

8120.JPG

CPU cooler: V6GT

Could be the way youve applied your TIM, or it could be the cooler itself, or it could just be a hot running chip. My last cpu was an i7 970 and it would barely do 4ghz, and it was HOT. On a side note, it had a wicked good IMC, better than my Xeon anyways.. :D

do me a favour and overclock to 4 ghz . and post the temps during stress testing

@ freeagent

"it could just be a hot running chip" i have a big feeling it is . the tim was applied properly i hope , i applied and reapplied it more than four times when using both the coolers !

These chips run hot and if you ahve an ambient temp of 27 - 28*C then that will dreasitcally hurt your temps. That is a similar temp that I had to deal with in the summer here. My CPU is very happy that the temps have come down ..... I like it cool and have my house at 20 - 21*C where it isright now, mind you my Girlfriend doesn't like it too much.

First thing I would concider changing is move your 140mm fan to the bottom front of your case bring in some cool air. Putting a fan on the side pannel blowing in can hurt as much as help sometimes. Use your top fan as exhaust as you have and I hope a 120mm fan at the back as well for exhaust. If you want to try it as an exhauset befor you change it that wouldn't hurt either.

i added a 220 mm fan back in feb as an exhaust , so to summarize i had 220mm + 2x120mm as intake (bare in my mind these were mounted on the side panel ) , and a 220mm with a 140mm exhaust on the top . honestly man i didnt notice a difference in temperatures after installing that fan only an annoying noise !

I have an assumption about a few of these FX-8120's and FX-8150's that's been popping up on the forums lately.

Not sure if this holds any ground, but I wonder when all these folks bought there Bulldozer. I got mine in the middle of August and maybe this batch is just hotter than others. The OP is running about the same vcore as I am and getting heat issues as well. Could just be coincidence but I do know that my cpu would would be blazing hot if I jumped it up to 1.4v+ like I seen when I did my research prior to buying this 8120. I know I don't have a custom water solution (yet, will in the next week thanks to this big new case) but seeing how Noctua DH-14's and the upper class of air coolers can cool these things at 1.4v I just assumed my h20 920 could do that as well.

I'm just spit balling here and it could have no ground under it, but maybe this batch is just hotter than normal at lower v's.

Interesting and scary speculation.
A possible correlation could be selling off "poor" performance inventory after the release of newer/upgraded chips. Ouch.
Cleaning the shelves of marginal stock that may have been held back?

Last edited:
I am sorry in advanced, I did not read all of the posts but have you tried reapplying thermal paste and reseating the new cooler? Also what type of air flow do you have in the case, perhaps some pictures?

i have applied/reapplied the thermal paste more than 4 four times , same issue .

in post #21 you state you have a 140mm fan on the case side.
turn this fan around to be an intake.
air should flow from the lower front to the upper rear and should flow across the board and not be pulled away from it.

Back