• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is your favorite console of ALL TIME?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Man, I can't decide on just one. The only ones I can think of that I don't currently own (besides the Virtual Boy- it doesn't count) are the Vectrex and the N64. I killed my 64 and haven't replaced it.

Umm, probably...umm...Why do you make me choose? Can I say three? SNES, PS1 and DC. I like the SNES, cause not only was it the first console I played but it had a couple of good games (friend had a snes, would always **** him off cause I was over at his house every day playing double dragons). Same for the PS1, first one I owned and some half decent games (big fan of the Army Men series for PCs, kinda carried over to the Playstation version). And Dreamcast, because like Rainless said, easy to set up for online play and I liked the VMUs (I always wondered why that isnt more popular. I liked being able to see what games were on what VMU without plugging all that I had into the system, about 3 or 4. But I guess with most of the new systems coming out with hdds the memory card is fading into the background.)

I'ld have to say NES. I can't think of any system, including my pc that gave me that much gaming enjoyment. Maybe I'm just getting nostalgic in my middle age.

I will say though, there was nothing quite like hitting the bars for the night and then heading to a buddy's house with a group of friends and playing Goldeneye on the N64 while drinking til the sun came up. Ah, good times.:beer:

The SNES, hands down.

snes.jpg

And that would be for one game, and one game only.

Super_Metroid_SNES_ScreenShot1.jpg

As what one might call a "Metroid geek", this game is infallible. This game will, in my eyes, never be properly surpassed. It had just the right difficulty(Hard, but not too hard), graphics that suited, a story that was great, but never got in the way, and the "all alone" atmosphere of the game. I never, ever tire of this game. I'm not one of those that refuse to acknowledge Metroid Fusion and the Prime series. And if you haven't played Metroid II for the Game Boy, and you have a trip coming up, buy it, you will not be dissapointed.

Of course, one game definately doesn't cut it, so I'll name my other favorites:
  • StarFox!
  • Super Mario World 1 & 2
  • Chrono Trigger
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Donkey kong Country
  • Street Fighter 2
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Pilotwings
  • Final Fantasy III
  • F-Zero
Sadly, I don't own many of these games (My parents sold most of their old consoles, including a Genesis and a Commodore 64! Damn them!) I managed to save the NES though. I recently purchased (few weeks ago) a used but clean SNES, and 2 original controllers.
I don't own the game though. Nobody does, apparently it's rare nowadays, Zelda, SFII and SMW2 included. I did get StarFox, SMW1, Pilotwings, and F-Zero, though...so I'm happy.

For now.

freakdiablo said:
Umm, probably...umm...Why do you make me choose? Can I say three? SNES, PS1 and DC. I like the SNES, cause not only was it the first console I played but it had a couple of good games (friend had a snes, would always **** him off cause I was over at his house every day playing double dragons). Same for the PS1, first one I owned and some half decent games (big fan of the Army Men series for PCs, kinda carried over to the Playstation version). And Dreamcast, because like Rainless said, easy to set up for online play and I liked the VMUs (I always wondered why that isnt more popular. I liked being able to see what games were on what VMU without plugging all that I had into the system, about 3 or 4. But I guess with most of the new systems coming out with hdds the memory card is fading into the background.)

You can say 3 or 4 or 5, anything goes:D

rainless said:
Dreamcast. I don't even need a SECOND to think about it.

No other console has EVER brought as much to the table as the Dreamcast. It would be three LOOOOOOONG years after the Dreamcast launch before Sony and MS were able to get their sh** together as far as online gaming goes. The DC had a modem built into it. You could use the DC to surf the internet (something you STILL can't do on the PS2 and Xbox) from day ONE. The game library consisted of some of the greatest hits of all time including (but not limited to) the birth of the 2k sports series.

2D Fighting games were the rule of the day. Crazy Taxi? Jet Set Radio? Almost every title released for the system was innovative in some way.

No... The Dreamcast's since of style has never been replicated or outmatched.

I would have to go with this statement the DC brought the ideas that are in todays next gen consoles. Online gaming (XBOX), internet (PS3 & Wii) but the DC's game catalog was great loads of choice and the graphics where superb shame about the support for it as it wasn't what it should of been.

My fav game on it was Marvel Vs. Capcom the BEST conversion from the arcade correction a perfect conversion with awsome graphics. Infact I was looking on Amazon.co.uk for 1 cause I dam well miss my DC.

I have to go with either snes just because of how big of an impact it had on me as a gamer. Or DC because of all of the innovation that it brought and how far ahead it was compared to everything else.

SNES then ps1 a close 2nd. both of them had excellent RPGS FF2&3 snes, and FF7 for PS. i remember when i would rent the ps1 from blockbuster just to play ridge racer and SF:alpha. i have more memorable/favorite games on the SNES than on any platform, PC included.

Last edited:
FudgeNuggets said:
Another vote for DreamCast here. ColecoVision is a close second though.

Wow almost forgot about Coleco Vision. Best console :eh?:

My hand would get soooo cramped using those crappy controllers LOL. I never had a single game that used the number pad, what's up with that? Ah well, I was still the coolest kid on the block :clap:

Thund3rball said:
Wow almost forgot about Coleco Vision. Best console :eh?:

My hand would get soooo cramped using those crappy controllers LOL. I never had a single game that used the number pad, what's up with that? Ah well, I was still the coolest kid on the block :clap:

I'll bet most people here are too young to remember the ColecoVision. The huge black console (later grey was available) with the controller holders built into it, the 5lb power adapter. The expansion port for the Atari 2600 and Intellivision adapters not to mention the STEERING WHEEL AND PEDALS perfect for Turbo, Pole Position and Dukes of Hazzard, true arcade quality graphics. I had several games that used the number pad. Squish Em' Sam was one of the best because I think it was the FIRST home game that TALKED!!!

Damn, I dunno....I'm going to have to hook it up and play it again. Forget close second. I'm now saying tie between DreamCast and ColecoVision.

Back