• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what keep IHS and the CPUs Board together

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mohammadrofan

Registered
what keep IHS and the CPUs Board together???
my friend have temp problem with AMD CPU (i use all methods to keep it cool but it didnt work) so i want to open the IHS and replace a thermal paste between IHS and chip.and now i dont know what is
the glow that keep them together ????
sorry for my poor English.

There is an adhesive around the edge of the IHS that holds it onto the PCB (board) of the processor. I'm not sure what options are available to you in your country, but would an RMA to get a replacement work? If the chip is truly defective, you shouldn't have to de-lid it to get it to work at stock speeds.

What have you tried to get the temperatures down?

i replaced thermal paste and i use extra fan (a big one) but it didnt work and no RMA because its been long time that they using it and i live in iran (Boycott problem) so options are limit.

thanks for your help.but i think i do it right.i cleaned the two surfaces and
squeeze a small blob of thermal paste onto the center of the CPU face and i lower the cooler.i think the real problem is between IHS and the chip.because somebody done that and he said that its worked for him.

thanks for your help.but i think i do it right.i cleaned the two surfaces and
squeeze a small blob of thermal paste onto the center of the CPU face and i lower the cooler.i think the real problem is between IHS and the chip.because somebody done that and he said that its worked for him.

You can try different methods of applying thermal paste. Like spreading across the entire ihs plate.

Can't help.with delidding without CPU model number.

But I can tell you that if its FX or phenom are soldered. A few 90nm s939 chips are soldered.

Athlon II, as far as I know are not soldered' neither are the semprons, the fm1 processors are not soldered, but I'm not sure about fm2. I would think they are not soldered as well.

What AMD cpu is it?
In addition to this, what settings are you running the processor at? Meaning, is the processor at stock settings or are you overclocking? What temperatures are you seeing under load and what program are you using to create the load?

hi.thanks everybody for your help.i dont know the exact model of CPU because its not in my city right now.but i think its Athlon X2 5200.and when i use extra big fan it didnt work for me.the problem is that if you copy something or watch movie the bios will ring and after some time it will shut down the hole system.and when i use softwares for calculating the exact temp i saw that its to high (i cant remember the exact temp).i have Athlon 64 X2 5000+ and when bios ring i use big fan it cool the CPU cores but it didnt work for another CPU.i think the problem is between chip and IHS.

In that case, you may have to improve the case airflow, clean the heatsink...lots of variables without the need to dissect the cpu.
Trust me, I've never dealt with an old cpu like that running so hot that basic maintenance didn't help.

mohammadrofan, a few things that would be useful for us to help. A screen shot of HWmonitor (non-Pro) after running Prime for 20 minutes or until the core/package temp reaches 62c. Also include a screen shot of the following tabs in Cpu-z Cpu, Spd and Memory.
It should look like this when you're done.

When you say you are using a big fan, do you mean an aftermarket Cpu heatsink?

Attachments

• how to attach photos.PNG
    how to attach photos.PNG
    28.2 KB · Views: 63
.,ivanlabrie,. the case door was open when i test the system.

and i use fans like this one:
aor4z0vzf7q24z4hv3ql.jpg

i use that softwares ..Mandrake4565.. and i know about how see temp.believe me some thing is wrong with this CPU.because i cant even run prime for 20 min.its temp will go up and then system will shutdown and i dont have that system right now so i cant make A screen shot.

i cleaned heat sink and i replaced thermal paste and the fan on the heat sink is working.its original stock i think.

What is the ambient temperature in the room the Pc is in, is it possible that the heatsink isn't mounted correctly. Is it overclocked at?

when i test the PC it was in normal room with normal temp. maybe temp was about 27C or more or less.
i think it wasnt overclocked and i believe that heatsink is mounted correctly.

What I'm thinking is this: If you haven't down loaded HWMonitor do so, then Run Prime for 1 minute. Post a ss of HWmonitor here along with the Cpu-z tabs I mentioned in post 12. This will at least let us see if the pc is indeed overclocked and also what the Cpu Voltage is doing under load.

Back