• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of cooling would you recommend?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AaronP

I have an Intel 902 MHz processor with an ASUS CUV4X board. I currently have it clocked at 945 MHz on stock cooling and 1 extra case fan.

My question is what kind of heat sink and what or how many case fans should I go with if I wanna hit 960 + ? Thanks in advanced

that depends on just how far past 960 you want to go. If you want to go as far as possible on air, then go ahead and get the volcano7+ or the 9. the # of fans does not matter. The quality and position does. if you have good air flow inside your case, you could get away with only 3-4 well placed fans with good cfm ratings. total cost would be between 60-80 bucks.

Thanks, I'll check that out, but Let's say i wanna stay on 970 with just air. Will the volcano 7+ or the 9 be able to handle it? And also, what would my temps be like? Right now im running 30 degree C on board and 35 on my chip (Si Soft Sandra 2001 te Standard).

I dont even have a volcan 7+ or 9. I have a dragon orb3 and have an o/c of over 100 mhtz. You could go way past that with a volcano. your temps with good flow (or an open case ) should not go over 125f under full load.

900 to 960?
that should be very very easy to hit on stock cooler.

ive ran my 950 Athlon at 1100MHz on stock cooler. temps werent too bad.

but if u want to really do some overclocking, i would go with like a volcano. should be able to get 100-200mhz

I run my agioa 1600+ at 166x10.5 with the stock cooler:D Havent tried to go higher though. Waiting for a watercooling setup that I can get to work without frying something.

AaronP said:
I can get there just by FSB O/Cing right?

That's all you CAN do with intel. I honestly wouldn't expect more than 1.04ghz with that cpu.
Don't get the volcano 7. If you must go cheap, get the millennium glaciator II (http://www.millennium-thermal.com/)

If you want really quiet, high-performance cooling, go with the Thermalright AX7 and a quiet 80mm Sunon fan or a Vanatec Stealth.

Nico3k said:
ive ran my 950 Athlon at 1100MHz on stock cooler. temps werent too bad.

AMD and intel are very different. In fact, every core revision is different, even with the same company. To get a good approximation of the speed you'll hit, go to the main page of this website and check the CPU database.

Back