• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What mobo for a 2.8ghz phenom x6.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ookabooka

I decided its time for an upgrade and I can definitely utilize the cores. I was thinking about getting the 3.2 x6 except that it costs quite a bit more. Can I get a decent o/c with the 2.8? Can I do multiplier o/c or do I have to do FSB overclocking?

My only requirement for the board is that it has to have ddr3, and onboard RAID for my 2 raptors.

I also would like for it to support AMD's new chip so I can upgrade in the future if I need to. (Bulldozer)

Really anything with the 890fx chipset...beyond that whatever else you like for features will narrow down your choice. Really all the names you've heard of have a good board with that chipset.

I decided its time for an upgrade and I can definitely utilize the cores. I was thinking about getting the 3.2 x6 except that it costs quite a bit more. Can I get a decent o/c with the 2.8? Can I do multiplier o/c or do I have to do FSB overclocking?

My only requirement for the board is that it has to have ddr3, and onboard RAID for my 2 raptors.

I also would like for it to support AMD's new chip so I can upgrade in the future if I need to. (Bulldozer)
The 1055T seems to be topping out in the 3.8-4.0 GHz range but the board is usually the hang-up. Clock speeds have to be just over 270 MHz for 3.8 GHz and just over 280 MHz for 4.0 GHz. A lot of boards simply won't run that high even though the CPU will with proper cooling.

No one knows as yet what socket Bulldozer will use so whether any board on the market will support it is guesswork ...

The 1055T seems to be topping out in the 3.8-4.0 GHz range but the board is usually the hang-up. Clock speeds have to be just over 270 MHz for 3.8 GHz and just over 280 MHz for 4.0 GHz. A lot of boards simply won't run that high even though the CPU will with proper cooling.

No one knows as yet what socket Bulldozer will use so whether any board on the market will support it is guesswork ...

Thanks for that, I am currently looking at the GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5. The other board I am looking at is the ASUS Crosshair IV Formula. Got those from the other thread http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652833

Will the ASUS get to a higher FSB than the GIGABYTE?

I honestly don't know. I know the ASUS will do 280+ MHz but I don't know about the UD5. Can't imagine it not going that high since it's predecessor will but who knows. :shrug: Nowadays there's not nearly as much interest in high clock speeds because a lot of people buy the BE chips ...

Back