• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What programs are considered the standard bearer for overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlashRZ

Registered
I'm really new to overclocking, so this may seem foolish, but I'd like to know what software is considered the go to for overclocking purposes? I saw there are many types on the Microsoft sticky post, but I'm wondering if there are one or a few that are considered the standard for overclocking? Like, what's used in professional competition? Thanks!

The BIOS is the preferred method.

Professional overclockers or those that use extreme cooling (read: subambient), typically only use windows applications to get those last few mhz. Where you are overclocking (for now.. :p), i wouldnt worry about it. Just get the software for whatever board you buy that tweaks things... they all have one... but use the bios.

Video card overclocking is software... msi afterburner and gpu tweak are two. I prefer msi ab.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I think I phrased my question wrong - I don't mean what software can you use to overclock your system, what I am wondering is what metric are we using to compete against one another with? Like when I see a score on hwbot.org, what does that number represent? I didnt know if there was like a consensus program that test your system or something...

The scores are indicative of each benchmark program, some benchmarks the higher the score the better where others the lower the time the better. For gpus the go to is traditionally firestrike or heaven for graphical comparisons and then something like gpupi for compute. As for 2d cpu benching there is a broad range depending on what you want to test. Their is done old standards like superpi and cinebench and then some newer ones like Geekbench 3/4 or Hwbot X265.

Cool! Where do we post our scores typically for this community? Or does it not even matter if it’s not the high score?

Benchmarking buffet covers that and i think loch's link too?

But you sign up at hwbot and then join our team. We have a benchmarking section here too (where i may move these threads) also with a lot of informative threads to check out. :)

At hwbot there are personal points and team points involved. Scoring there is complicated. In essence, in each benchmark, the better your result the more points you get. The more results for that benchmark and hardware (say a cpu benchmark like super pi) the mkre points. For example if i am in 10th place overall in benchmark with 5000 submissions, i get 10 points. Another benchmark 10th place with 50000 submissions may yield 50 points. There are records for each hardware in each benchmark, etc...its complicated. Lol

Last edited:
Back