• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What pump to use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DO NOT go with a D5/MCP655. It has a high-pitched tone to it that in your situation would drive you nuts. I have one right now and am about to sell it. I just did a side by side comparison between the MCP350 10w and 18w (soon to be called MCP355) versions: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=453456&page=3 . The 18w currently is only being sold by Danger Den as the DDC Rev2 plus, or by D-Tek customs. Everything else sold as an MCP350 should be the 10w version.

If low pitched silence is what you are after, then you NEED to go with the 10w MCP350. The only other option that I know of would be an eheim 1250 as it is very quiet if placed on foam to absorb vibration. Of the two, I still would go with the MCP350 10w. It is about the quietest pump available and if you mod the inlet or better yet get an Alphacool (from Voyeurmods) or radiical acrylic top for it, it will give about 75% more flow with almost the same head pressure.

voigts said:
DO NOT go with a D5/MCP655. It has a high-pitched tone to it that in your situation would drive you nuts.

That's what I'd read, but.. I just read on swiftnets.com:
"In response to the overwhelming demand for a quieter MCP655... the high pitch frequency of the MCP655 is now eliminated thanks to a new chipset controller".
Have enthusiasts performed independent dB tests on this latest version? I'm curious if the effect is merely lessened or completely eliminated as they claim -- so that this pump is now as quiet (on the high-freq side at least) as the MCP350 (either wattage)?
I can stand a little more low-pitched hum than the MCP350 if it means much better performance in a 1/2" loop, especially considering they're both priced out the same or very close at most dealers I've checked with.

hmmm... from Robotech's articles @ systemcooling.com it now seems a modded 10W MCP350 might perform almost as well with my components as a stock MCP655 @ #5 setting. I'll go out on a limb and assume those were typos on the Swiftnet page, and they actually meant the new chipset controller is superior to the "650" instead of the 655 (or ARE there two versions of the 655?)

I hate the thought of voiding the 350's warranty with the mod, as I've read several instances of people receiving duds which crap out after several weeks or months. Too bad those acrylic tops cost so much.
I still haven't been able to find info on whether the 1/2" inlet helps at all with the MCP350 10W version stalling prob. Anyone?

Back