• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED What should I do

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Swiftfeather

I am looking to upgrade my RAM and GPU here in the near future, I don't really know if any of the stuff I'd like to do will work however, considering that the things inside are several years old. First thing I need to know: Will my PSU cover what I've got if I were to add/replace the RAM, Replace the 6790 with a newer, NVIDIA card.

I'd also like recommendations on which NVIDIA card that will work with my system (GTX 700+) and RAM to get because I have no more than 250 dollars to spend. I can't pull a full system overhaul, but I'd love to upgrade to nicer things. THanks!

Motherboard: Gigagbyte P67A-UD3-B3
CPU: Intel i3-2100 dual core @3.1 GHz
RAM: Patriot Signature 4 GB PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 Desktop Memory PSD34G13332
Storage: 1TB
Video Card: AMD Radeon 6790 sapphire pro
PSU: Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W

Last edited:
I'd get a second stick of exactly the same RAM that you have and a GTX 960.

PSU will be more than enough, the 960 pulls less power than your 6790.

Thank you so much for the fast reply, one more question: with that RAM, would I put it on the same channel as the other one I've currently got installed?

Yes, that way you end up with dual channel :)

You mean no, don't you? If you put RAM in A1 A2 it's in single channel. If you put it in A1 B1 it's in dual channel. At least that's my understanding of it.

OP I urge you to track down a used 2500K and a hyper 212 cooler. It'll make a difference. Your mobo can take it no problem. Solid board. Built my friend a PC with that board in 2011.

I suggest that instead of the 960 you look at the R9 290. It's $220 if you shop around. Much more power than the 960.

You mean no, don't you? If you put RAM in A1 A2 it's in single channel. If you put it in A1 B1 it's in dual channel. At least that's my understanding of it.

OP I urge you to track down a used 2500K and a hyper 212 cooler. It'll make a difference. Your mobo can take it no problem. Solid board. Built my friend a PC with that board in 2011.

I suggest that instead of the 960 you look at the R9 290. It's $220 if you shop around. Much more power than the 960.

As I said, $250 for everything right now.
This mobo is terrible, but I put up with it because it's the nicest system I've ever had, secondhand but functional.
In x amount of time I'll be doing a full build, replacing all the old parts with new ones, I'll be putting the 960 into that computer if it's not obsolete in x amount of time. I've also never had an interest in overclocking, mostly because I've never had hardware worth overclocking, or the money to get any of it.
And for the R9 290, I can't stand using Radeon. Thank you for your suggestion, though ^^.

At this point I just want something that is better/nicer than my current setup ^^
I could do with a case that doesn't get all dusty, though. I went in and cleaned this out while finding the RAM and PSU models, dust everywhere after not that long.

Can't understand why people freak out with Radeon. They are decent GPUs just like Nvidia. Hell, they beat Nvidia sometimes in high resolutions.

Can't understand why people freak out with Radeon. They are decent GPUs just like Nvidia. Hell, they beat Nvidia sometimes in high resolutions.

I knew of NVIDIA GPU's first, understood them first, wanted one since I first discovered them, and I simply don't understand or care to learn about AMD cards. For all my knowledge, the 6790 I have is from 2011 and the 290 could be from mars for all I know :D

Back