• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What size drill bits for screws?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bboy_Jon said:
ok well i tried the metal bits i have and 1/8th works somewhat with the case screws, i dont have one for fan screws

and which drill bit would work for a 8/32 machine screw? 5/32 dont work

Don't you mean a #8-32 machine screw? Do not get - mixed up with /
I don't use very many #8-32 screws, but a 9/32nd-inch bit should work

well a a 1/4 bit is about 10 times bigger than the 8/32 MACHINE screws i have

Bboy_Jon said:
well a a 1/4 bit is about 10 times bigger than the 8/32 MACHINE screws i have

Ok to tap an 8-32 screw. Which is a Number 8 screw with threads that if you counted them would add up to 32 threads per inch(commonly referred to as TPI for short), It is not a fraction. They also make 8-36 screws which is a Number 8 screw with 36 threads per inch. Sometimes referred to as a number 8 screw with fine thread with 32 TPI being called coarse thread. OK enough with the screw terminology lesson.

So to tap it properly you need a #29 drill bit which is .136 inches in diameter or you could use a 9/64 bit which is .140 inches in diameter however the threads you cut with your tap will not be as defined and as such will not hold as well.( AKA If you overtighten the screw you may stretch the the threads so the screw just spins in the hole and never tightens)

For a Properly sized clearance hole for an 8-32 screw. The kind you just insert the screw into the hole and put a nut on the back of it you would need to drill a hole using a #18 Drill bit (.169 inches) or you could use an 11/64th (.171 inches)

The Number Drill Bits I referred to (also called Wire-Guage) are another set of Drill bits sizes that are used besides fractional they commonly come in a set and number from 1-60. With 1 (.228 inches) being the largest size and 60 (.040 inches)being the smallest in the set. If you intend on doing more modding involving drilling and taping holes for various screws I would recommend you get a set.

I hope this helps clear some things up.

Last edited:
this might help
Metric Conversion Tables
im a tool and die maker trained in England
but im now working in Canada
In England we mainly use Metric but sometime old drawing (1970) are in Imperial
but in Canada and the USA is mainly Imperial

Imperial... inchs, feet gallons, miles and so on
Metric .... mm meters .liters, kilometers

½ inch (0.500 tho) = 12.7000 mm

hope this helps
Borgy

i used a 13/64 for my 8-32 screws, works fine

anyways hehe now i know why screws are called what they are

Bboy_Jon said:
i used a 13/64 for my 8-32 screws, works fine

anyways hehe now i know why screws are called what they are

Yes, you can always oversize a clearance hole just a little bit. To give you a little more wiggle room to line all the holes up.

See you never know what you may learn here on the forums. LOL

yupperz

yo get on aim man!! well i got a prob i think, im putting 2 blow holes on the top, theres just enough room for 2 120mm blows holes and 2 handles, ive gotten all the holes drill and i just have to cut out one more hole, the thing is, will the top still be strong enough after all that? and inbetweeen the 2 blow holes, theres like a millimeter of space between them, will that be strong enough, or will that bend easily?

I have AIM turned on now so send me an IM and we will discuss this. Just make sure you have allowed space for the Fan housing to mount. If the case is made of steel it you shouldn't have any problem. Take a look at this print I made for my Triple Blowhole Mod I did.

NewCaseTop.JPG

NewCase6.JPG

Back