• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what sort of PC did you have at age of 15, compared to now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I dont know, all i know is that his nick name starts with an "h", it ends with an "a", and it has the letters "af" in the midle. How old is him/she? not sure but that person was 50 when she/he builded a computer and that was 60 years ago... So by doing a bit of math x+y=age x=50 y=60. That person must be 110 years old??

Lordy, kids these days. I'm not sure whether their English or math skills are more frightening.

I built my first one for me at 14 (Nov 2002 I think). Big shoutout to mw521 that I met with on the OCforum CS 1.6 team. Something like:

Athlon XP 1600+
Codegen case + psu
256mb Corsair XMS DDR400
Seagate 60gb 7200rpm
Albatron Geforce 4 Ti4200
Albatron KX400+ Pro (KT333a chipset)

Think I may even have the invoice around from newegg somewhere :eek:

edit: Almost forgot, got the Thermalright AX-7 too, solid performer :D Bought a SLK-600 from someone here too. I think I have some pics from this setup if you are interested Richard ;)

Last edited:
Hey, whippersnapper, we called it the "rising of the North". Oh wait, you wouldn't remember Granny Clampett either. Never mind...

Lol at "rising of the North", being raised in Virginia I do know some people who still consider it the "War of the Northern Aggression."

Anyways when I was 15 I had a PIII 600E Coppermine CPU, 128MB of ram, a 16GB hard drive, and an ATI Rage Fury Pro. This ran at stock until I found Serious Sam unplayable on my machine. At this point I started to look for ways to make my machine faster and found overclockers.com. If you look hard enough you can find some of my first naive posts, its amazing how much has changed and how much has stayed the same in technology over the last 8 years.

Richard, you should wikipedia some of these older machines you see these guys talk about, I have done so and there really were some interesting computers in the 80's.

Also check out this article:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/cpu_retrospective_the_life_and_times_x86?page=0,0

It's a great history of x86 computing.

Tandy TRS80 Model 1

CPU Zilog Z80
SPEED
1.77 MHz
RAM
4 kb / 16 kb depending on models (up to 48 kb)
VRAM
1 kb
ROM
4 kb (Basic Level 1) or 12kb (Basic Level 2)
TEXT MODES
32 x 16, 64 x 16
GRAPHIC MODES
128 x 48
COLORS
monochrome
SOUND None
I/O PORTS
Monitor, cassette interface, expansion port

Oh the memories that brings back... the hours of sitting in front of it writing out all the basic code just to see the "program" come to life for a fraction of a few seconds... then saving it all to cassette and trying to reload it later and finding out all your hard work was gone because the tape was either garbage or your sister used it to record herself singing... :beer:

Lordy, kids these days. I'm not sure whether their English or math skills are more frightening.

I would say BOTH! I look at the tests and the homework my kids bring home and wonder what happened to when they made you learn something in school... everything is so "dumbed" down, and now they can even bring calculators and even laptops to use with tests... I remember part of the learning was having to WRITE all your work down to show how you came up with the answers, because calculators (no laptops then...) were NOT allowed, and the WORK was part of the grade you got, INCLUDING the notes you took down in your NOTEBOOK (not your notebook PC!).... Kids graduating from HS today would never have made it through Jr high 10-15-20 yrs ago... And they STILL complain about having it "rough"! :rolleyes:

Oh man, but I'm old

When I was 15, personal computers would not be introduced for another 7 years and the first portable pocket calculator, complete with an LCD screen, had just come out and was selling for $100.00+ (that's 1974 dollars BTW).

I had a slide rule, however :D

Heck, when I was 15, 1965, calculators weren't even invented and I didn't have a slide rule either. I had a "hi tech" metal abacus that you used a pencil to move the sliding gears, which replaced beads. I'm serious! (I'm quite sadly sober) The upside is I became quite a wiz at mental math. Many kids today can't do math without a calculator, but that's another soapbox. :)

I got my first computer in 1996, a Pentium 200 for a boat load of money. Six years and numerous upgrades later that expensive boat was in permanent dry dock at the local landfill.

R7 :beer:

My brother brought home a used commodore around 1975 seemed useless.

We were too busy in the real world.:beer:

Like rseven I first thought a PC would be useful in 96. It was a pentium 166 I OCed it to a blazing fast 200mghz.

Upgraded everything except the Mobo(many times over)

Now my iphone is as powerful and has as much memory.

I would say BOTH! I look at the tests and the homework my kids bring home and wonder what happened to when they made you learn something in school... everything is so "dumbed" down, and now they can even bring calculators and even laptops to use with tests... I remember part of the learning was having to WRITE all your work down to show how you came up with the answers, because calculators (no laptops then...) were NOT allowed, and the WORK was part of the grade you got, INCLUDING the notes you took down in your NOTEBOOK (not your notebook PC!).... Kids graduating from HS today would never have made it through Jr high 10-15-20 yrs ago... And they STILL complain about having it "rough"! :rolleyes:
It may have been me, but my 12 year old is finishing up Algebra this year, thats 2 years ahead of when I had it. I also never spent more then an hour on homework... she studies at least 2 hours a night.

Last edited:
Hmm...

Age 15, I was on the family's then state of the art 700mhz pIII with a 3dfx Voodoo3 video card.
At 16, I built my own, a Duron 900mhz.

I think this is more of a "How old are you?" thread.

Hmmmm... I remember learning how to program Pascal on an Apple IIc back in the mid-80's.. Those things were portable too....that's even scarier.....
Didn't get a comp until the mid 90's tho.... around 96 I guess ... Compaq at like 166M .. I thought it was the coolest.. I played Diablo 1 on it all the time.. then came the days of DIAL UP ... whoa... 28.8K bps modem (watch Hackers the movie LOL)....

wow commodore 64's!!! i have one know but cant use it cos i have no idea what to do with :bang head lol

i am 16 now and now i have the same rig in my specs :) am gna upgrad after my gcse's :santa:

Well, I'm not 15 yet... But my rig is in my sig :D. But I built it to finally get rid of the old dell with a celeron single core and 128mb's of ram. Not to mention it was running an nvidia MX440. But, I also built it for gaming and it has done me well. Spent too much because I bought it all from compusa in the beginning (didn't know about newegg's great deals.) But so far it is up to about $900- like $60 for rebates (that I actually got back!) so around 840.

Lol at "rising of the North", being raised in Virginia I do know some people who still consider it the "War of the Northern Aggression."

Anyways when I was 15 I had a PIII 600E Coppermine CPU, 128MB of ram, a 16GB hard drive, and an ATI Rage Fury Pro. This ran at stock until I found Serious Sam unplayable on my machine. At this point I started to look for ways to make my machine faster and found overclockers.com. If you look hard enough you can find some of my first naive posts, its amazing how much has changed and how much has stayed the same in technology over the last 8 years.

Richard, you should wikipedia some of these older machines you see these guys talk about, I have done so and there really were some interesting computers in the 80's.

Also check out this article:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/cpu_retrospective_the_life_and_times_x86?page=0,0

It's a great history of x86 computing.

That was great article! Only thing I hated was the i7 part. How dare they steal the Hypertransport!?!?! QPI? Wtf is that?

Heck, when I was 15, 1965, calculators weren't even invented and I didn't have a slide rule either. I had a "hi tech" metal abacus that you used a pencil to move the sliding gears, which replaced beads. I'm serious! (I'm quite sadly sober) The upside is I became quite a wiz at mental math.

OK, rseven gets the geezer award!

As for my first computer (I was a bit older than 15 :D ), it was an Atari 800, which I got in 1982. A friend of mine (who I would later emulate) was leaving the US to live abroad and sold it to me for $125.00, including a monitor, dot matrix printer and cassette tape drive. HIGH TECH, BABY!

Well, I'm not 15 yet... But my rig is in my sig :D. But I built it to finally get rid of the old dell with a celeron single core and 128mb's of ram. Not to mention it was running an nvidia MX440. But, I also built it for gaming and it has done me well. Spent too much because I bought it all from compusa in the beginning (didn't know about newegg's great deals.) But so far it is up to about $900- like $60 for rebates (that I actually got back!) so around 840.
whoa! how much time do you spend here on OCF? you have 7 stars already. spend more time outdoors man :beer:
i'm only 16 myself, but according to my profile, i do 3.5posts a day.
but congrats. you may be one of the youngest here :p

wonder hat computers we'll have by the time we're 30/40. it'll be funny lol

yeh nealric, i guess it kind of is. it's good to see the wide range of OCF members here though. i shall make one of these threads 20 years down the track and see what computers everybody has then! lol
might be like am i10 7.0ghz, 12gb ddr8 ram @10GHZ, 200tb ssd, ATi 9870X4....
just dreaming lol.

:beer:HAHAHAHA:beer:

I was accually ten but my first PC is listed in my signature as a reminder of how far we have came.

I accually had some weird thing before that that took cassett tapes and ran a biorithum program as far as i can remember. :screwy:

whoa! how much time do you spend here on OCF? you have 7 stars already. spend more time outdoors man :beer:
i'm only 16 myself, but according to my profile, i do 3.5posts a day.
but congrats. you may be one of the youngest here :p

wonder hat computers we'll have by the time we're 30/40. it'll be funny lol

yeh nealric, i guess it kind of is. it's good to see the wide range of OCF members here though. i shall make one of these threads 20 years down the track and see what computers everybody has then! lol
might be like am i10 7.0ghz, 12gb ddr8 ram @10ghz, 200tb ssd, ATi 9870X4....
just dreaming lol.

Bahaha, surpisingly I have no issues being out side most of my time. And yeah, for lack of a better term, I am a post *****. I'm at like 18+ a day... :/. But, I have to admit I've learned more in two or three months on here than I have over my eight grades. So it's more of a learning experience. And to be truthful, I am never going to tear this system down. I can seriously see myself in the future digging through my attic and finding this old thing. Booting it up and being shocked at how slow it is compared to me new rig which performs opperations before I think of what I want to do.

Back