• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what sort of PC did you have at age of 15, compared to now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
must be some kind of coding bug. i've had it once. the person i quoted was like "WTH?! how the...what?!"

:p

anybody had a 400mhz cpu back the days? or the good old 4mb harddrive? haha
I would've been thrilled to have a 400MHz CPU. :)

I had a 486DX2 at 66MHz (I think) with maybe 8mb of RAM and a 300MB hard drive. It had a sound card, and it was awesome.

I had a 486DX2 at 66MHz (I think) with maybe 8mb of RAM and a 300MB hard drive. It had a sound card, and it was awesome.

I would of loved to have a computer that powerful. I would of sold my sister for something that nice. When I was 15. :D The machine I did have was 1Mhz. Which for the time and my age was totally tubular. My folks would not let me on the big machine, unsupervised.. It was not much faster.. Motorola MC68000 @7Mhz. State of the art machine for the time.
I had a VIC-20. Which sort of sucked for me. Since I had a very cool 13" black and White TV in my bedroom.

lol, wish i had my own computer when i was 15! 1994, i wish, but my first computer when i was 18 was top of the line,
PIII 533 (intels first 133fsb chips)
ATI AIW Radeon 128 32mb 2xAGP card,
40G Maxtor harddrive (that cost me almost $500)
19' CRT, that was about $600,
256mb of ram (was around $300 i think...)

cant recall the mobo....Asus something, but was awsome!

Computers weren't around when I was 15. The first hardware I owned that was programmable was a TI-86 programmable calculator--and I got that when I was 17.

Computers weren't around when I was 15.

Technically... An Acubus is a computer. Electronic computers came into being, in the 40's. By the 70's they moved into some homes.

I am assuming. They were not just in your home when you was 15. The first computer in my home. That I remember was 1981. Not saying I was 15 then... I do remember when the US troops came home from Viet Nam.. And bell bottom pants.

Computers weren't around when I was 15. The first hardware I owned that was programmable was a TI-86 programmable calculator--and I got that when I was 17.

Technically... An Acubus is a computer. Electronic computers came into being, in the 40's. By the 70's they moved into some homes.

I am assuming. They were not just in your home when you was 15. The first computer in my home. That I remember was 1981. Not saying I was 15 then... I do remember when the US troops came home from Viet Nam.. And bell bottom pants.

Technically, an abacus is a CALCULATOR. A computer is something that can be programmed to do different things by its operator. And yes, there have been even mechanical computers years before. But there was no consumer computer equipment available before 1970.

Tex Instruments

It was a TI-1000

I can't remember too many details. There actually weren't many details.

I remember it had 16K ram and keys w/ letters and numbers. Used a Radio Shack cassette player for data and a B&W TV for a monitor. no other storage.

all in basic - Installed !

UMMMM, lets see, I can't remember. OH WAIT! I am 15 :D

so, ill just post my rig!

Case: Antec 900
MoBo: Intel DG965wh
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.40 <- getting prepared to OC
GPU: Nvidia 7600 <- Bleh, soon to be a Radeon 4870!
RAM: Corsair 2 GB (2X1GB)
Hard Drive: 500GB Seagate, fast RPM, cant remember what :)
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa :D
PSU: Modular 640 watts

Air cooling now but soon to be water cooled! I am updating my rig 'cause I have time now, ITS SUMMER!

When I was 15 that was 1986 and I had an Atari 2600 and maybe the Commodore 64 too, I know it came out around that time.

Case: Aspire X-Dream something
GPU: Radeon X800 XL AGP
CPU: Athlon 64 something
I think I forgot the rest. Wow. It's only been 4.8~ years. This does not bode well...

When I was 15, I got this. Not exactly mine, but I do use it. This is the machine that started all for me. There was another PC before this one, an intel 486 or something running dos. I wasn't interested in it because I had SNES.

receipt011.jpg

I don't remember any 13GB HDD, it was 6.4GB, I think my bro got ripped off.
:eek: Imagine what I can get today with that kind of $, $2.8K then is like $3.5K now?

Oh wow....Lemme think back. It was late 2003/early 2004

Pentium 4 D 2.2 GHz stock(got to 2.8 stable)
PNY ATI Radeon 9800PRO
Gigabyte mobo(model number escapes me. Had a vertical power board by the CPU, blue LEDS on a small fan)
Audigy ZS
WD 60 Gig IDE Drive
Generic RAM 512MB
RAIDMAX blue midtower case, with generic PSU

It was a frankenstein put together from parts my brothers lent down to me and what usable parts I cannibalized form a Dell 2350
Ran stable and played games fine up until my last build...which was...

Opty 144
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
WD SATA Caviar in RAID 0 (500 gigs total)
Audigy ZS
Corsair XMS DDR800 1Gig(2x512)
EVGA 6800GS in SLI
Chen-ming bigger midtower case. Looked very similar to my friend's Antec. Great case, still using it for my mom's new build.
OCZ GameXStream 600W

My newest...
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Intel Q9400
G.SKill DDR1066MHz 4G(2x2)
EVGA GTX275
Raptors in RAID 0 (about 130 total) for games and OS
WD 250 for storage
Antec 1200
Corsair HX1000W
Creative X-FI Titanium PCi-e

I only went with such a large PSU cause my friend's PSU died, and I sold him mine while I was waiting on an RMA'd part.Figured I may as well get one part that will last for awhile compared to the others.

My PC is also the media server for my network, and when it's not gaming, I have it folding. I don't numbercrunch of benchmark a whole lot. FPS usually bore me, so I stick with flight sims, RTS, and the like. I don't upgrade often, or need bleeding edge. But my last two got me through my then favorite games, so I don't see my newest having any issues either.

My first build was a nightmare of wires. Second was immaculate. Only cables visible were the connections on the back of drives/mobo and the sidefan power. Everything else was hidden. Current is still a work in progress.

When I was 15, I had a Gateway Celeron 2.6Ghz. Had 256MB Ram, crappy integrated graphics, and a whopping 40gb HD.

I remember the graphics used to enter the infinite loop if I used one of the altars in Morrowind. Drove me nuts!

Pentium 2 350Mhz
Intel SE440BX-2 MOBO
128MB PC-100 SDRAM
6.4GB WD HDD
Matrox Millenium D 200 8MB

thats about it, i ocd the cpu with fsb"something" software to 466mhz, :)

Pentium 2 350Mhz
Intel SE440BX-2 MOBO
128MB PC-100 SDRAM
6.4GB WD HDD
Matrox Millenium D 200 8MB

thats about it, i ocd the cpu with fsb"something" software to 466mhz, :)

Back