• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to Change my Vapor R9 270x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkblitz05

Guys, I was planning to change my Sapphire R9 270X VAPOR-X 2GB GDDR5 256bit
but I dont know if its better to change it to SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 580 8GD5 or the 4GD5 ?

Or any other suggestions for another GPU.. please do help me before buying things :salute:
My rig is on my signature.

Well with the Vapor X, I was still using my current monitor which can only handle like 1366... thats why im planning to change it also for future changing of monitors.

I would wait to see what vega56 is like should be out any day. Should let you play 1080p on ultra with 60+fps (same with the 1070)

hmmm well my buget can only afford the nitro+

uhmmm what other cards is par on SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 580 8GD5 or the 4GD5 or with the same price?

This will sound funny coming from me, but I say wait too. Several told me to wait, but I bought a XFX RX 580 anyway. Not much in stock right now, so prices are still high. Vega should be out soon and that will change the landscape.

Regarding 4GB vs 8GB memory. Not many games can utilize more than 4GB now, but they will, so to futureproof get 8GB. One other thing, the 8GB cards have faster memory chips.

can you give me a specific model of the 1060?.... so that I can check and compare it also.. xD

Not much difference in cards now , main difference is warranty . I would get the Higher ram versions of all cards for future proofing . You could also look for a used 980ti

Guys, i realized that the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 580 8GD5 is kinda expensive for me.. lol
uhmmm can anyone help me what gpu is par with my old Sapphire R9 270X VAPOR-X 2GB GDDR5 256bit maybe same price but also a good card also..

Reason for asking this is: ... my vapor-x just broke down..

was thinking of ...RX 470 or 480?

Last edited:
the 480 and the 580 are pretty much the same card just small tweaks . If you can get one you can get the other ( unless you are talking used) .

I would look for a used 970gtx if you are looking to save $

I have just upgraded to a 1060 from an r9 280x and I am very happy with that decision. Plus sold the 280x for 120 so it has only cost me an extra 100.

I game at 1080 and it seems to suit that resolution just fine with everything on high or max.

If you can find a gently used GTX 1070 or 970 in your budget, that would be good. I looked at the GTX 1060 and it's a great card for that price point, but I would get it with 6GB of memory.

sorry guys.. been really busy lately... forgot to keep this thread alive...hope you still reply..

uhmmm now I saw 6gb Palit GTX 1060 Dual Fan ddr5 192bit it .. it only cost below 300$
but the
MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 3GB Gddr5 192Bit ? cost around the same...

im caught up with deciding what to choose... is the 6gig better than the 3gig MSI...(well this is gaming x)... ????

sorry guys.. been really busy lately... forgot to keep this thread alive...hope you still reply..

uhmmm now I saw 6gb Palit GTX 1060 Dual Fan ddr5 192bit it .. it only cost below 300$
but the
MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 3GB Gddr5 192Bit ? cost around the same...

im caught up with deciding what to choose... is the 6gig better than the 3gig MSI...(well this is gaming x)... ????

YEs, 3GB is on the edge, even for 1080p gaming. Go for the 6GB!

well.. the monitor that i will be using will be this one... 24" Asus VZ249H,(kinda low on a budget)... my first time to change my 18.5 hahah which was only 720p..

I’ve been monitoring VRAM usage on my new 1080ti while playing a heavily modded SkyrimSE install at 4K. It will register over 8Gb during heavy graphic demanding scenes.
So my recommendation would be to go with the higher VRAM card

Thing is that applications (in this case games), are often using all the VRAm available for buffering. So Vram varies from card to card, depending on available memory.

Nowadays, @1080p, with 4GB you're covered.

Back