• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what to get fro x-mas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just get a 350watt Fortron Source PSU. It'll be more than enough to power your system. Either get one from www.directron.com or www.newegg.com. What happened to getting a 9800np? It would only be 30-40 more and you'll be getting much, much better performance, even if you can't mod it to 9800 Pro.

I went from my 9600pro to the 9800np from circuit city and I can say there wasn't that much of a difference. Didn't even go up 1000 points in 3dm2k3. So I'm gonna return it and just wait for a nice deal on a pro. And this is with the card clocked at 450/330.

1000 points is a big jump to expect, but just for the info, the 256bit wide bus can transfer 19.8GB/s as opposed to the 9600 Pro's 9.6GB/s - the 9800np has more than twice the memory speed. It, of course, also has twice as many pixel pipes so... it should be a lot better -- particularly for AA/AF where memory comes into play in a big way. And what would you expect from a Pro? It's essentially the same thing as a NP, just with a 55MHz core difference and a 30MHz memory bump. Also keep in mind that the 9600 XT is the exact same thing as the 9600 Pro, only with a 100MHz core difference.

[edit]
Change 100 to 1000 points.
[/edit]

Last edited:
i really am trying to save as much as possible and if hl2 is the biggest thing i play and that at mid-low settings i should be fine for a year or two...also i am set on the 1800+ seeing that alot of bartons are locked and i don't wanna take that chance and sacrafice on the overclock

http://www.excaliberpc.com/ sells guaranteed Barton 2500+ AQZEA: 0341RPMW steppings, but I'm not sure if that stepping is the unlocked or not.
I just confirmed that these are not unlocked Bartons, they are locked. Alot of people seem to be getting good luck with Newegg still. I also would get the 1800+ over the 2500+, the extra cache isn't as big as a performance booster as some make it out to be. Not to mention the 1800+ should get 200MHz over the Barton 2500+. The locked multi won't really affect you if you have high quality ram. Still, if I were you, and I couldn't afford to get a 9800np right away, I'd just save up a little until I could. Think about it... it wouldn't take that long to earn an extra 50$ or so, and the payoff would be great. You could live with the MX for a bit longer. And HL2 isn't coming out for a while yet, is it? So.. you have plenty of time to save up for that aswell.

the vid card will be a x-mas present if i get one so i was trying to be nice to my g-ma or rents which ever is getting it for me seeing as i will get something else along with it(maybe a $550 rc truck) so i went with the 9600xt because it is all i need because i am more thna happy with current games and if the 9600xt can handle hl2 then i would be set for years..was planning on the 1800+ so thanks for backin me up

Biznatch said:
How worth it is it? If the barton tops around 2.3 and you can get the 1800 to about 2.5-2.6?

I highly doubt the 1800+ will hit 2.5Ghz let alone 2.6Ghz not on air cooling anyway. I would say 2.5Ghz as a top figure, I think hes most likely to hit about 2.2Ghz maybe a little bit more I would say 2.5Ghz as a absolute top figure, people where hitting those speeds but only if they get lucky with a really good chip.

I didnt know the price difference before as I'm not in the US of A but I just checked and it seems to be about $20 difference between the two, personally I would go for the Barton but as your trying to save money you may be best off with the TBred.

On the note of saving money you could always drop the x-superalien case and go for a chieftec case and Fortron PSU that would save you about $50. But thats completly up to you.

By the way what cooling are you going for on this machine? :)

i agree...what would you use that useless contraption for? chieftec case? naa...i like the glowing fans, removable drive cages/slots, and all that..mostly goin for looks and good air flow

Those things sell like crazy. They will probably have more in stock soon, though. You can try google for finding guaranteed stepping processors... pricewatch might have something...

Back