• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to use to measure CPU temperatures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deftor

I've just put together my new pc and I was planning to overclock it once I got everything setup. I have not overclocked it yet..and I'm trying to run prime95 but I fail on the first test. Using the Torture Test function. I read the stress.txt file and its telling me that the most probably thing is that the cpu is running too hot. I'm wondering what tools should i use measure my cpu temperature that will give me an indication if this is the problem.

Thanks

amd 2100+
slk-800
smartfan II
2x512 pc2700 kingston ram

its not overclocked at all yet. I was going to run prime95 to break it in a bit...even though I don't know if that actually helps or not..i figure it doesn't hurt to try it and then overclock it tomorrow after running it for 24 hours.

One thing I use to measure temps on a new machine is an indoor/outdoor digital thermometer modified with two thermistors. Costs about $20 to make and takes about 20 minutes to make. Good insurance.

Last edited:
Motherboard monitor is reporting:

sensor1 0c
sensor2 0c
sensor3 0c

Do I have to turn the censors on or something. I've been using Asus probe which comes with the mobo. The temps are at about 29c (cpu) and 32c (mobo). prime95 is now running fine at 148fsb. The failing was not actually cpu heat related but it was because of some usb problem I had...weird =T. But I dunno why its not passing at higher fsb's yet. I left prime running last night for 10 hours-ish...now I'm at work...I'll see what I can get when I get home today. Any suggestions?

2100+
slk-800
smartfan II
A7N8X

its at 148x13 right now with 1.65v -- prime95 was failing at 155fsb and 166fsb even though the heat was still below 40c.
I've tried different voltages...1.675, 1.7 but it didn't make a difference. What are some voltages you guys had with this setup.

ya you have to set the motherboard monitor for each of the sensors. Here is a link on how to do it. http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ once you get to this link you have to motherboard list, then choose your motherboard that you are using. Now after that you find your board model is the list it gives you. Then you find out the CPU Sensor and Case Sensor and put those in for the Sensor 1 or 2 and it will detect you temps for the cpu and case.

Do I understand correctly that those temps are at full-load? Also what RAM are you using? That's always a limiting factor.

In any case, those sound like good temps :)

Yeah...I know that the temps are at full load. I finally have MBM5 set up with the sensors. Sensor 1 is at 34c, Sensor 2 is at 28c, and sensor 3 is at 25c. Although I don't know what each sensor is measuring, they look like safe temps to me since I've been running prime95 for about an hour now.

I manage to get 153fsb today but this is the absolute peek it will go. 154 won't even pass 10 tests in prime95 and again the problem is not with the temperatures.

I have pc2700 ram so I should be able to reach 166 without a problem.

I've notice that at 154fsb, my motherboard (a7n8x) will pick up that my cpu is a 2700+ instead of a 2100+ while at 153fsb...its still a 2100+. Can this be the cause of not passing prime95?

Thanks for any help.

Back