• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What vid card (AGP) and RAM for old Athlon XP 2400+ setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nealoc187

Registered
I haven't used my desktop in almost a year now since my old GeForce FX5600 died.

I want to get it back up and running and be able to play some games like BF2 on it again. For reference, I was able to play BF2 on it at 1024x768 with all settings on low (Barely, 15fps or so) with this POS setup:

Asus A7N8X
1GB unknown brand unknown type ram
Athlon XP 2400+
Antec 300w power supply.
GeForce FX5600 256mb (AGP)
Nothing overclocked

OK so here's the deal. I want to get this thing back up and running, and have it run BF2 better than it did before, but do it for as little coin as possible. I KNOW I won't be setting any framerate records here (unless it's the record for the lowest framerate). What ram and vid card would you all suggest as the best compromise between price and performance. I was thinking of something like an ATI X850 or GeForce 6600 or 6800 for vid card... those are in the $100-150 range.

As for ram, I'll be frank. I don't know squat. I've never built a computer before. I've swapped components around like vid cards and ram, but I don't "know" the details of ram. What is some decent ram for a decent price that this motherboard can use? PC3200 is the fastest ram it can handle. Would I benefit from going larger than 1 GB of ram, like 1.5 or GB of ram (it has NO ram in it right now, because I gave that ram to my dad for his computer). Keep in mind I want to use this computer to play games, but I know it won't ever play oblivion on 1600x1200, just a little BF2 on 1024x768 or maybe 1200x1024 if I'm lucky. Just looking for a little bang for the buck advice.

Edit:
I should also point out that I'd like to overclock it to get a little more out of it, though like I've already stated I'm a newb to the computer thing. I've done alot of reading on how to overclock on here, just have yet to try it.

You can pick up 6600 GTs for 80 dollars used or so They iwll play BF2 at moderate settings.. Im using a 700 pro and its ATI's 6600GT competitor.. It does rather nicely in my games. I play everyone on my system like fear, black and white 2, BF2, and guild wars, a ndddd quake4 all on medium to high settings in 1200X1024 mode. But your CPU will be the largest bottle neck.. then the PSU might be needing a upgrade as well ot handle the new video card... but yeah.. 1 GB of ram is fine if your on a budget.. Im on one and i play everything just fine.

There are still a lot of choices. AGP is not dead yet, although the PCI-E equivalents are cheaper. This can/could get into the ATI/Nvidia, er, discussion. I prefer quiet and got the Gigabyte 7600GS (no fan). The 7600 and higher GTs are faster and should play most games well.

I agree with mortimer, the 7600GS should do well for gaming as well as anything else you need to do.

Back