• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What was so wrong with netbooks, anyway?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think you have to ask yourself what you need said device to do. When you add a keyboard to a tablet you essentially now have the form factor of a netbook. Maybe it's a little thinner but thinness is a moot thing at a certain point...you still are going to put it in a case when you travel (with the exception of the windows surface keyboard jacket that looks cool). Maybe apps and a touch screen is more productive for you so a tablet keyboard combo is fine, plus you still get way more battery. However maybe you want a browser that's not hamstrung or you need bigger storage and external ports for photo's or microsoft office...then a netbook....it's all about what you need to get done. I personally have loved my little netbook (I'm on it right now) but I think I'm also going to buy a nexus 7. I view tablets as companion devices...everyone (general public not techie types per say)wants their iPad to replace their laptop...but it just isn't going to....they're different.

Nothing wrong with netbooks. In fact, I'd still get netbook over a tablet. For me, tablet is pretty much the most useless thing made :D
It doesn't allow me to run the OS of my choice, it limits my choice of software to run, it's not upgradable, it's hard/uncomfortable to use for text input, unless you get a hardware keyboard (but you're still stuck with Android/iOS :puke:, or a chrooted Ubuntu, that's useless).

Then there is the price. Netbook will be cheaper than any branded, higher-end tablet. It will last longer (8-9 hrs depending on battery/system specs/os vs what, 5 - 6 hrs of a tablet?). If we take notebooks into account... I don't know where to start. Get me a sub $400 notebook with 10.2 - 11.6" screen with 8h+ battery life and weight around 1.6kg.

So, yeah, my personal opinion is that there is nothing wrong with netbooks. :) If anything, it's the people...

ETA:
And now that I actually read the rest of post.. :D You basically have two choices. If graphics (i.e. Video playback) are of no importance, go with an Inter Cedar Trail atom as it is more efficient and has a lower TDP than AMDs APU stuff. However, if you want something that also handles HD video, get an AMD. The built in Radeon kicks PowerVR graphics out of the water. HPs DM1 series are pretty nice. Good design, good battery life... sadly they're one of the most expensive netbooks as well. Ah, also... most Atom stuff (if not all, I don't remember) will run only 1280x600, while AMD will run @ 1366X768... I, personally, find the Atom resolution too low :)

Last edited:
I would look at the older Lenovo X Series. how do you feel about getting something used/Refurb? Here is one that looks pretty good Lenovo X200 Now of course, this is eBay and the battery might not hold a charge but that is easly fixed.. These suckers can go 6-8 hours on a charge and is much more powerful than a netbook and doubles as a tablet. Get the Windows 7 upgrade through your school as well as office for cheap and you got yourself a good note taker as well! Buying things like this that are not "move in" ready is not for everyone but there are certainly options out there.

Back