• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"What We Have To Look Forward To"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darksparkz

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00830/

That actually makes a lot of sense to me. You should either upgrade now or just wait until all the new things become more mainstream. When I say new things, I mean, Dual Cores, Vista, 65nm, M2 or some other socket, new monitors, and the whole HD DRM thing.

Those things will probably only become mainstream about a year after Vista is officially released. Because Vista will need a special monitor or something like that. The only change I see in systems for the next few months would be M2, and that's still going to be relatively new, probably not even much of a difference from skt939s, other then maybe a little bit of memory bandwidth for the dual cores.

im personally waiting for M2, ddr 2, im gonna switch to pci-express and maybe sata II or something like that, but currently my rig is pretty set in stone financially and the amount of time before its obsolete (its got life in it), the only thing i've considered is 2gb of ram, but i also want them to make some killer fast 1gb sticks that hit like 275 2.5-3-3-7, then i'll go to 2gb

Inspite of all the new wiz-bang things coming out in the future, I don't see anything on the horizon smoking my dual Xeon system or any AMD64 X2 system.

Things aren't going to get much faster so they will have to be more efficiant to get more processing power. With Windows Vista, you'll need all the power you can get to handle it's overhead.

Oh, come on folks! We are coming up to Christmas and it's time for that long wish list for Santa. Seriously, technology is always in a state of flux. If your rig does what it needs to do and is resonably quick about it then there is no reason to upgrade. If not, then get out the credit card. I try to upgrade every 12-18 months and I look to stay about that far behind on the technology. This insures me that the price is down and the bugs are out of it. (Well, sometimes, anyway)

RAMMAN said:
yeah when it comes to nvidia,s chipset technology its the newer stuff that has fewer bugs!
That's true but remember their first generation 939 board was the nf3. The NF4 is really a polished nf3 board with pci-e. I don't know that I'd want to be the first to try their first M2 board. The first generation Via boards didn't have an agp/pci lock. These are things you avoid in not running out and buying things when they first come out.

Back