• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What WiFi PCI Card Should I Get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That one has a Qualcomm/Atheros chipset. And the newer chipsets have most (if not all) of the RF stuff built in so there's not as much difference between the cheap and expensive cards with the same chipset.

So I got the card, and though it isn't a great one nor was I expecting it to really be, it gets a "very good" connection instead of "poor" (4 out of 5 bars instead of 2). It had that same disconnecting problem that the the other PCI card originally had, but apparently there was a setting I had to change in the control panel that fixed it.

I will get the new antennas on it soon as well.

I wouldn't call four out of five bars very good. Just decent. An 8dbi antenna on either end of the connection would make it much stronger.

I wouldn't call four out of five bars very good. Just decent. An 8dbi antenna on either end of the connection would make it much stronger.

Still, not as bad as two bars. But yeah it's not even $20 though, not to be unexpected.

And actually I just went ahead and bought two of those antennas to replace both of them, lol not sure if having two will really make a difference but we'll see.

So I had the two new antennas installed into it (huh, they're much bigger than I expected them to be) for about 4 days or so, and though the connection is better than it used to be by a little bit, about once a day or so generally it will still disconnect. I'm still not quite sure what is going on here.

Also, I just noticed this now, I don't know how long it's been doing this, but my computer is emitting this static-like noise. I used LatencyMon to try and figure out what it was, and it says it could be caused by a WLAN card, and even when I disable it, it still makes the noise. I had this problem a long time ago, and the issue was that there was CPU throttling turned on in the BIOS, and by disabling that I fixed it, but now the problem is back and its NOT caused by the BIOS...

Alright, the card is STILL having problems at times. The connection is fine, but it just randomly disconnects and reconnects whenever it wants to. Occasionally when I fiddle around with stuff like the roaming sensitivity or whatever sometimes it just disconnects permanently until I restart the computer. What is going on here, is there something I have to change in the settings?

What should "roaming sensitivity" be set to, what does that do, and what is "Adhoc Support", should that be enabled or disabled?

for desktop roaming sensitivity 0 since it's not moving and ad-hoc support is related to a wireless network made by a computer/tablet/phone ie were a router is not involved.

Back