• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What will you LIKELY upgrade next? Please vote!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

THIS is the item I'm buying next:

• CPU

Votes: 26 14.3%
  • Memory

Votes: 22 12.1%
  • Motherboard

Votes: 18 9.9%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 50 27.5%
  • Hard drive

Votes: 21 11.5%
  • Optical drive

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • PSU

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • HSF

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Sound card

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Other (please specify by posting below)

Votes: 20 11.0%

• Total voters
Optical drive -- I'm getting a DVD writer next. I've been holding off on this for a while, and now the 8X dual-format drives are around $85-95.

Well, I have to go with my main system for this. I'll probably do some minor things to the others before I do the main rig. teh main rig I'll do one of two things. Either upgrade the RAM to low latency RAM (I'm running 2 sticks of Kingston Value Ram), or I'll give in and buy a video card. I'm leaning heavily towards the vid card because of the new generation of cards comming out from both ATI and Nvidia.

I'm starting to look into DVD writers now. As soon as dual-layer burners hit the market, and dual-layer media comes down in price, I'll pro'lly jump on the bandwagon.

As it is, my CDRW is doing just fine right now.

I will likely upgrade my motherboard next, but with that comes everything else that needs upgrading too... so I'm not sure. I voted motherboard anyway- but I'm getting pretty low on hdd space, so I guess I would probably throw in an extra HDD or something.

CrystalMethod said:
Well, I have to go with my main system for this. I'll probably do some minor things to the others before I do the main rig. teh main rig I'll do one of two things. Either upgrade the RAM to low latency RAM (I'm running 2 sticks of Kingston Value Ram), or I'll give in and buy a video card. I'm leaning heavily towards the vid card because of the new generation of cards comming out from both ATI and Nvidia.

What vid card? The latest offerings or something recent for a good price? Just curious.

Probably video card, because I have the money for a 9800 pro at newegg. The problem is I can't bring myself to spend $200 just for better graphics because I only game a few hours a month. Maybe when guild wars or half life 2 comes out I'll upgrade...

The truth of the matter is I plan on builiding an all new rig shortly. It's primary function will be for my office, but in the past, that usually means a new box for the "hobby hole", the place in my basement the wife sends/ I retreat to to play with/on my computer.
My quandry is that I don't know if other than a vid card upgrade if there is a bunch I can do to really upgrade my existing rig to justify the dollars...right now. I know the new PCI-xpress is close to release, etc., but not sure if I want to be a guinnea pig for the developemnt of that hardware. I need somehting for my office andmight just build a solid little box for running my CAD program and word processing needs and wait a spell on the the new technology. Decisions, decisions.

Other... I need me an mp3 player. If that doesn't entirely go along with the polls objective, I'll be buying a new optical drive after that. This old 32x Burner doesn't cut it for me anymore, <stupid bum talk on> I crave something with the ability to handle them DeviousVolitileDiscs that ares all da rage right now.<stupid bum talk off>

i chose "other" and heres why:

im finished building my rig with all the necessity parts.so all upgrades from here out can be anything at anytime.
i need nothing really but want alot.im the typical oc junky!

i do know i have a 9800pro coming and a agp h20 system to be added soon.
mabey a ram upgrade and then mobo/cpu.
my choices mainly depend on what parts i can buy that are faster than what i have for a good price.

other: my next upgrade will probably be a new computer

possibly a new vid card though...

Ya, my next upgrade will be my graphics card due to reasons stated in the sister poll :D

I havent spent money to upgrade my graphics card ever since Gefore2 was out. And even then i recieved the Gforce 2 mx as a birthday gift. But then when it never worked, i just kept it in a box and then met this guy at HS who is now one of my better friends who had the same problem, but with his 8500le. So one day, we deicded to swap, and before we know it, each of our cards worked in the other's system. So I believe that i got the better deal in that little trade off, but now even the 8500 doesnt do quite as well in the newer games, so a new video card will be the next upgrade for me at christmas!

Raven

I voted for the Hard Drive.

I currently have 3 Maxtor 20gig's in my system. I'm thinking of getting at least an 80gig for my main. If it wasn't for the fact that I can't seem to get Online games to run on anything other than my main, I would be fine.

Back