• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would be the best MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is your board holding you back in the first place?

What motherboard do you have?

No not at all. I was going to put the New Ryzen 7 1700 on a new MB so I can keep the GA-AB350M- gaming 3 for the Current Ryzen 3 1300x. It is a great MB maybe I can just get another one?

No not at all. I was going to put the New Ryzen 7 1700 on a new MB so I can keep the GA-AB350M- gaming 3 for the Current Ryzen 3 1300x. It is a great MB maybe I can just get another one for cheep??

That's not what you asked for here.

I was doing some thinking and the B350 chipset I have is fine and all but I am getting a new Ryzen 7 1700 and was pondering if this upgrade would be best for that CPU?
What do you think of this one?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144189

Keeping in mind best bang for the buck and I do NOT need nor want any of that lighting crap. Just a big waste of time when you think about it.

You asked for an upgrade. The upgrade from a B board would be an X board, otherwise it's just another B board.

No not at all. I was going to put the New Ryzen 7 1700 on a new MB so I can keep the GA-AB350M- gaming 3 for the Current Ryzen 3 1300x. It is a great MB maybe I can just get another one?
I'd step up to a decent X470 board for the ryzen 7... surely some robust b450 will fine too...

Your current board looks a bit anemic to push Ryzen 7... though those more familiar with ryzen can confirm/deny that.

Last edited:
I settled for this one. MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS
Piced it up for $125 us dollars. This should do it now for RAM! OMG!

RAM is at it's lowest prices (that I've seen) in 2-3 years, and Ryzen/RAM compatibility has never been better. Now's the time. If you don't want to OC your memory just pick up the cheapest you can find at the speed/timings you want. The performance difference between a $200 G. Skill set and cheap Nanya memory is exactly zero at identical speeds and timings. For that chip I wouldn't bother paying for anything over 3200-3466 MHz.
That MSI board should be great. Unlike the bad old days of AM3+, MSI really brought their A game for AM4 boards.

I had MSI B350M Mortar Arctic (just because it's white :) ) and it was working great. Memory support was better than on most other motherboards. It was also cheap. Actually, all ASRock and MSI AM4 boards I had were working great.

RAM is at it's lowest prices (that I've seen) in 2-3 years, and Ryzen/RAM compatibility has never been better. Now's the time. If you don't want to OC your memory just pick up the cheapest you can find at the speed/timings you want. The performance difference between a $200 G. Skill set and cheap Nanya memory is exactly zero at identical speeds and timings. For that chip I wouldn't bother paying for anything over 3200-3466 MHz.
That MSI board should be great. Unlike the bad old days of AM3+, MSI really brought their A game for AM4 boards.

That's fine for Intel but AM4 doesn't always play nice with all sets of ram. Check the QVL from MSI and find a set that they say will work on that board 3000-3200 MHz is about where you want to be. Or look for RAM that says it works with AM4 in it's description or on their website.

True, and I haven't seen that board's QVL, but here's 16 GB og G. Skill FlareX DDR4 3200 MHz for $110. As the higher priced inventories dissipate the the over production from the Intel CPU shortage, combined with its effect on risin' (see what I did there? LOL) AMD sales, should have AMD friendly RAM doing the same price dive for the next quarter.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232767

With the 10 nm Coffee Lake release guaranteed to be-maybe, someday, this year is going AMD's way.

Last edited:
Back