• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would you recommend as a coolant for PC watercooling and why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi there,
I need to find out what is the best coolant on the market and what makes it the best?

The best coolant is distilled water, with a kill coil. Any of the other coolants have a tendency to break down after a while, and gunk up your loop.

Does it NEED to be colored liquid? (If so, is this a show rig?) What about colored tubing for similar effect?

If you use dyes in your loops, you will want to do a complete teardown and flush/clean out the parts every few months to make sure nothing gets stained and gunked up. This also introduces many chances for possible leak/microleak to be introduced. Not worth the hassle unless it is a sponsored setup that is being shown off at an event (IMO anyway).

A biocide...something like PTNuke. Why would you not want to use one?

Please read the link above so you can learn a bit about what you are doing. These questioned are answered in that thread. :)

Just a fyi, PTNuke = HTH Super Extended Algae Guard

PTNuke is just a much smaller amount of the HTH stuff, packaged and priced to cater to the PC water cooling crowd, as you only need a couple of drops of the stuff in a typical water loop.

This is what happens when you run colored fluids if you don't do complete tear downs and clean the whole loop regularly. As said above, distilled water, silver coil or Biocide, it just makes life easier.
UsingDyes.PNG
usingdyes2.PNG

Hi, it's with clear plexi window on right side which allows to take a look inside PC case adn it is not show rig.
as i said before I can use coloured tubing and I found Ice blue reservoirs for my self as well so far so good :)
I don't use kill coil due to esthetic purpose only that is why I was wondering myself if there is something else like liquid instead of kill coil.

Hi, it's with clear plexi window on right side which allows to take a look inside PC case adn it is not show rig.
as i said before I can use coloured tubing and I found Ice blue reservoirs for my self as well so far so good :)
I don't use kill coil due to esthetic purpose only that is why I was wondering myself if there is something else like liquid instead of kill coil.

Take a look at my attached pic, a killcoil is hardly noticeable. That is one of my rigs I recently tore down and parted out.

Either way though, if you don't use a killcoil just grab Deadwater or PTNuke.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 92
looks great,
I will use kill coil and see how looks like inside my rig?
should I use PTnuke with kill coil same time? or just one of these?
thanks

I used both killcoil and deadwater when I ran a custom loop.

Silver (killcoil) is for bacteria, algae guard (PTNuke) is for.... algae.

Its best to run both to stay as clean as possible.

Deadwater as stated already is the liquid forum instead of having a kill coil. I use both since my loop is fairly large. PTNuke isn't a bad idea either. Not sure if its been proven to run both at the same time without any issues.

Deadwater as stated already is the liquid forum instead of having a kill coil. I use both since my loop is fairly large. PTNuke isn't a bad idea either. Not sure if its been proven to run both at the same time without any issues.

ive been running both in my loop for over 2 years, same tubing, same water... yeah.. i should do a tear down soon. temps are still great though so o well. i ive just had to top off my res once and i added a drop of pt to it at that time.

If you have a rigorous schedule of maintenance, say a complete tear down and cleaning of the entire loop every six months, will fluids like Mayhem's Pastel line be acceptable?

If you have a rigorous schedule of maintenance, say a complete tear down and cleaning of the entire loop every six months, will fluids like Mayhem's Pastel line be acceptable?
Mayhems is supposedly one of the best on the market. If you do complete tear downs and clean the whole loop, you shouldn't have issues with it. Doing so every 6 months and replacing the fluid each time is likely the max you should let it go, you may need to do it sooner.

Back