• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a good gaming mouse? (2012 edition)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have to add another recommendation for the G500 as well. I have owned no less than 6 Logitech mice and so far this one has been my favorite. Each time i replaced a mouse they seemed to get better and better. From my MX518 to my G5 to this one and a few others in between. Most of the time I replaced due to a bit to much play in the right mouse button as that is my main button for movement while playing games. Team Fortress Classic has claimed 3 of those right mouse buttons to a point where it didn't feel comfortable anymore. Doesn't mean the mouse is broke as I still use them at work when fixing laptops ( I hate laptop mouse pads) I carry 2 of my old mice and a wireless that I use for my laptop with me at all times.

Any one of the Logitech mice named here is a solid choice in my opinion.

( I hate laptop mouse pads)

haha.. i love how people like to dog on the touch-pads. They arn't *that* bad, but they do have a learning curve to them that people who are use to mice don't like. They are very covenant and barely take up any room on a laptop, so they make sense logically so im glad they are included. But i wouldn't use one for gaming or any program that requires precision mousing.

Tho touch-pad tech is getting cheaper. So either the screen itself will replace there touch-pad, or they will update the touch-pad itself to do more (ie multi-touch)

Thats the v1 G15, the G9 dwarfed by the G700, and a Razer Destructor mouse pad. (ts hard and the mice slide around on it like butter. although I'll never buy another Razer mouse or kb again, the game pads are pretty great

Curious why you won't buy a mouse and kb from razer anymore?

I have to say, I have my original Logi, MX500. I love it, I like the forward/back buttons for web browsing..It glides well, and I like the weight of it. I know it's "ancient" tech. But I love it, and I can't believe it's lasted this long, even after taking it apart once.

I should say I don't like a lot of the shorter, squat/fat/wide mice, like the G9x. The shape feels totally awkward.

The one I almost bought at one point was the mouse w/the adjustable gram weights.

For myself (being an old time gamer) I started playng when Logi made the Wingman Gaming mouse (which was a three button ball mouse), and it's benefits were in being a nice wide shape to grip with thumb and pinky with 3 buttons in the middle (it was the best for Quake and such) & I'm talking FPS games here only. Ofcourse eventually I wore all those mice out, lo and behold these days a much better (same basic design for the hand & in an ergonomic design) is the Evoluent VerticalMouse 4. If you google it you'll see what I mean. It's latest technology (laser with settings, scroll and extra buttons), and most important (for me) it doesn't have that (WANKY!) 2 button mouse shape/design, which as far as I'm concerned was designed/made for an office worker (I use one at my work also), NOT a gamer.

Cheers,
(thanks for listening)

G500, though I would use G700 now, think it has a better grip. Well at least for my hand. I move G500 too much with my fingers, like it's too low for my palm to rest on it.

Its not that I hate them its more that I work on no less than 10-12 laptops a day and clean them up and using a mouse pad for that is a chore to say the least. I much prefer to just plug in a USB mouse and get the job done faster so I can spend more time browsing these forums.

I will Try and break Mouse Choosing down for you.

!. Comfort is key.. make sure the mouse first of all fits your play/grip style.

basically make sure the mouse feels at home in your grip or else it will never be truely good to you reguardless how advanced it is.

2. most gamers scale down to 400DPI .. scary stat but true .. most actually do this Going along with that.

3. most gamers use large mouse pads high speed moves with lower sens/dpi mice... with means the mouse must be able to be high sensitivity and move fast along a large mouse speed for long high speed adjustments without loosing accuracy.

4. IR/Optical mice are more precice
the

3500dpoi Death adder and the 1800 dpi G518 aka G 400 now .. are both optical Ir. the differnce is the G400 has predicatability and the DA does not

the thing about predictability .. prediction will make strait lines out of quick side / up movements. no predictability will do true movements with what ever jitter you have in your hand.

My advice is if you want to FPS pick a opticale mouse that fits your hand well

if you have to get a lazer for what ever dumb reason for fps.. then atleast pick one you can grip properly.

I forgot to add a solid LARGE mouse pad is equally important as the mouse its self i use a Razer Speed as big as they come

Care to elaborate on why you dislike laser mice so much?

They are less accurate.

they are jittery on alot more surfaces.

they have a lower movement speed fail point usually " lower is worse"

usually having positive or negative acceleration on different pads "hard vs soft".

the only selling point for a Laser really is you can go much higher with the dpi..

most "not all" FPS gamer's just scale it down to 400-800-1800 dpi anyway .. something basically all optical current gen ofc mice can do at a much more precise level with higher tolerances and works on most all surfaces.

so if you do have a lazer mouse get a good pad that works well with it as many dont some make the mouse negative excel some make them positive excel.. some they skip on .. some just stop tracking .. some reflect and the mouse will spaz out.. you just dont see it with optical all that much.

I have a literal pile of Logitech M305's in a closet. 6-8 of them. I'm a claw gripper, and the M305 is tiny and cheap.

I will Try and break Mouse Choosing down for you.

!. Comfort is key.. make sure the mouse first of all fits your play/grip style.

basically make sure the mouse feels at home in your grip or else it will never be truely good to you reguardless how advanced it is.

2. most gamers scale down to 400DPI .. scary stat but true .. most actually do this Going along with that.

3. most gamers use large mouse pads high speed moves with lower sens/dpi mice... with means the mouse must be able to be high sensitivity and move fast along a large mouse speed for long high speed adjustments without loosing accuracy.

4. IR/Optical mice are more precice
the

3500dpoi Death adder and the 1800 dpi G518 aka G 400 now .. are both optical Ir. the differnce is the G400 has predicatability and the DA does not

the thing about predictability .. prediction will make strait lines out of quick side / up movements. no predictability will do true movements with what ever jitter you have in your hand.

My advice is if you want to FPS pick a opticale mouse that fits your hand well

if you have to get a lazer for what ever dumb reason for fps.. then atleast pick one you can grip properly.

I forgot to add a solid LARGE mouse pad is equally important as the mouse its self i use a Razer Speed as big as they come

I'd argue a lot of your points being preference. For instance, "most" gamers use 400-1800DPI... Where do you get that figure?

As a gamer, I can tell you that myself, along with the majority of my friends are high-sensitivity, small-movement gamers. The advantages for having a high-sensitivity is that I have a much larger range of view with very little motion. This is useful for both gaming, where being able to change where I am aiming at a whim takes significantly less motion than using a low-sensitivity, but also for desktop computing, where I can effortlessly point next to anywhere on my desktop without having to even move my arm. The overall smaller movements I make (almost all of my mousing is either done by moving my fingers or my wrist, never my arm) means it takes significantly less physical exertion to move my mouse, and as such, lowers fatigue when using my mouse in an extended manner. Naturally, I need much finer and precise movements to make this feasible when I need accuracy, but that comes with practice and skill (that, and I have steady hands).

Are all gamers like me? No, absolutely not. I know others who like low-sensitivities and large mousepads.

The only universal advice of yours that I agree with is comfort. Doesn't matter how good a mouse is provided it tracks on whatever surface you're using and is comfortable. My favorite mouse, when I don't have my MX518 is the oldschool Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse:

m-bd58.jpg

It's perfectly suited to my playing style, and is very comfortable. Tracks just fine on my mousepad, has no bells or whistles.

I guess i should have said pro/high competitive FPS gamers.

and its quite a common well known thing. there is a short list of players not playing at 400 dpi settings in the Pro FPS community and its for a reason its just plain harder to aim with higher dpi settings. a rare breed can pull it off.

and its quite a common well known thing. there is a short list of players not playing at 400 dpi settings in the Pro FPS community and its for a reason its just plain harder to aim with higher dpi settings. a rare breed can pull it off.

I'm not trying to be a ****, but again, where are your sources? This is not common knowledge, at least to me.

I would say that I am above average at FPS's, with a focus in COD. I have a ratio of 2.0 in MW3 and in Black Ops I had a 2.4. I have used the RAT 7 at 5400 DPI for the past year and can not go back to less sensitivity.

Anyways, anyone see the new mouse by Level 10? Looks a lot like the RAT series, and I definitely want to try it out.
bmw-designworksusa-thermaltake-level-10-mouse-00.jpg

I'm not trying to be a ****, but again, where are your sources? This is not common knowledge, at least to me.

I would say that I am above average at FPS's, with a focus in COD. I have a ratio of 2.0 in MW3 and in Black Ops I had a 2.4. I have used the RAT 7 at 5400 DPI for the past year and can not go back to less sensitivity.

Anyways, anyone see the new mouse by Level 10? Looks a lot like the RAT series, and I definitely want to try it out.
bmw-designworksusa-thermaltake-level-10-mouse-00.jpg

most of it comes from Competitive fps play since 1997

some of it comes from staying connected to Pro FPS play since that time

posts like this are basic examples of pro gamer profiles.

http://www.sk-gaming.com/forum/2-CounterStrike/939779-High_sensitivity_progamers

you will find alot more similar examples if you care to dig further.

also.. maybe it should be common knowledge more people would buy mice for comfort rather than max dpi and more pro gamers wouldnt respond to mouse questions so comprehensively.

remember alot of these people are sponsored and dont like to make it public knowledge but these stats come out at lans and competitions.

just adding. i don't think their sponsors would love seeing it public knowledge the gamer took their 11k dpi sensei mouse to 400dpi to play with lol.

After your posting on your show dislike for laser, i did a few searches. Technologically, laser has the advantage in most of the points you listed. Its more accurate, works on more surfaces. I personally have had experiences where optical has given me a few problems depending on the surface im using it on, where laser has yet to.

Im also having a hard time finding optical mice that have on the fly adjustable DPI. I know i personally use this feature. While others may not, its hard to argue against having that option of customization regardless if its used or not.

Comfort is a big thing in mice however. And I suspect that many gamers who use optical mice, do so because they are comfortable with and use to using them. But despite that, even if people would adjust the dpi down, laser, as a technology whole, is more accurate than optical... From what ive found anyway.

also.. maybe it should be common knowledge more people would buy mice for comfort rather than max dpi and more pro gamers wouldnt respond to mouse questions so comprehensively.

remember alot of these people are sponsored and dont like to make it public knowledge but these stats come out at lans and competitions.

just adding. i don't think their sponsors would love seeing it public knowledge the gamer took their 11k dpi sensei mouse to 400dpi to play with lol.

The link you gave had no proof of anything, and doesnt even give dates on when the thread was created. In it, there was a post that said one pro gamer played on 640x480 resolution, and this was for Counter Strike, which is a 9 year old game. No one plays on that resolution nowadays.

I just think you are giving opinions, and not having facts or sources to back it up.

Back