• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the most stupid thing you've ever done to your computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow... that is bad. Very bad. Lol... Actually I've already used this Aerocool here successfully before. Its a 120mm white LED fan with shiny 'chrome' style blades... very pretty. Has worked without an issue. Nonetheless... *makes shifty eyed glance at fan*

When I was building my current system, I couldn't get it to boot from a floppy (this was before I had installed windows). Then I realized the IDE cable was installed but the power cable wasn't. So I proceded to plug in the power cable with the computer still running. Yes, I am an idiot. Well, not only was THAT a bad idea, the lighting in my computer room sucks and I couldn't see the pins properly, and I plugged in the molex connector incorrectly, sending 5V over the ground. Lots of sparks and everything instantly shut off. Remarkably, the floppy and just about everything else was unharmed, 'cept my A8N-SLI. :( Don't ask me how or why THAT died, it just did.

LoneWolf121188 said:
When I was building my current system, I couldn't get it to boot from a floppy (this was before I had installed windows). Then I realized the IDE cable was installed but the power cable wasn't. So I proceded to plug in the power cable with the computer still running. Yes, I am an idiot. Well, not only was THAT a bad idea, the lighting in my computer room sucks and I couldn't see the pins properly, and I plugged in the molex connector incorrectly, sending 5V over the ground. Lots of sparks and everything instantly shut off. Remarkably, the floppy and just about everything else was unharmed, 'cept my A8N-SLI. :( Don't ask me how or why THAT died, it just did.

Wierd... normally i can plug sparks into anything anywhere and nothing dies.

I think my motherboard is just a tank ;)

I once shorted out this board. I just got this board I am on now..

It was running really hot since at that time it was in a temp crappy case. (The pic is right afterwards. It is just like it ran until I got the case I am in now.) The video temps were suffering bad. The nVidia drivers at the time had that heat bug. Well I happen to have a slot cooler in a box.

So me bieng really bright (actually drunk) I thought "hey, lets plug in this cooler in for some airflow" for the V-card. I found the maker of this motherboard tucks the Marvell right under the AGP slot. I shorted out the board with a plethora of sparks and magic smoke. Lost the onboard LAN and slot cooler. Everything else still work(s/ed) great. Actually I think it overclocked better after it was scared into submission. That is the last time I have ever did anything 'hot'.

The cool thing was. I called Gigabyte up. Told them I burnt out the LAN. Also how I did it. I wanted a quote for repair, or if it was worth fixing it. Maybe just buy a new unit. Also to see if it was safe to use. They told me that it was if it booted it "should" be safe. If I would like to box it up and I would get a new board. They would be glad to get me another. I told them be cheaper to just buy a new one. He replied I would only pay for shipping to them, nothing else. I kept the board.

I guess they wanted to see how this board was still going. It was a bad arc too. The Gigabyte engineer had a great sense of humor too.

Here is the hint of what I did. Never told the exact reason why I replaced it though.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=378500

Hmm the most stupid thing I ever done to my computer.... once in the good old days of dx486, I had no clue about computers and I thought it should be ok if I took the biggest ISA card out, while the comp is still running.... to make a long story short I bought a new computer in a couple of weeks :)

Most stupid thing i did was letting my sister play on it >.< joking,
i was working on my 486 and i droped the psu switch into the mobo... i thing u can guess what happend.... sparkes+smoke+burn... I was not at all angry, i just reopen the system and did it agen :) it was burn... cant be worst...

EDIT:

Celada said:
Hmm the most stupid thing I ever done to my computer.... once in the good old days of dx486, I had no clue about computers and I thought it should be ok if I took the biggest ISA card out, while the comp is still running.... to make a long story short I bought a new computer in a couple of weeks :)

I plugged a pci card while my pentium 3 was running, only a BSOD and pc restarted...

Connected a guitar amp to the line-in jack. Took a minute or so but it started to stink, then smoke. Amazingly, no damage was done.

Removed a video card from a PC without unplugging the power cable first. For some reason the PC turned itself on just as I removed it. The said video card hasn't worked at all since then :(

Great thread. :santa:
Most stupid thing I have ever done? I havent personally done anything stupid but a stupid story that happened to me:

This is from a thead that I started a few months ago:
I had a huge scare last night that could have been a lot worse. Anyway, I go to turn off my rig last night before going out to dinner and as I press the power button on a fully enclosed case a blue bolt shot from my finger to behind the plastic power switch and shorted my whole rig, shutting my monitor off completely and freezing the rig in its tracks.

At that point I really thought I just fried my $4000 rig in its entirety (MOBO/CPU/RAM/PSU/HDD's/DVD/etc., including the new dual raid raptors I just bought a week ago.

I have been working like a dog since last night (we never made it out to dinner) and I have been individually testing each component to make sure it was damage free. THANK GOD IN HEAVEN, everything is fine except for the mobo and case. I fried a brand new A8N-SLI Premium motherboard. As far as the case, the power switch and and PW LED light wires are melted. I immediately called up Micro PC center in Westbury and was able to get my hands on a duplicate A8N-Sli Premium mobo and a new Coolermaster case.

Can you believe how this thing shorted? Ever heard of such a thing?
The static bolt went from my finger-----> around the plastic power switch button on the case ----> down the Power SW wire -----> straight to the motherboard and fried it, shorting out the PW LED light as well.

UNBELIEVABLE!! Anyway, I needed to vent to someone. Thanks for being there OCForums.. hehe

Celada said:

DUDE comps were EXPENSIVE BACK THEN! Though perhaps not as expensive as the early 386's... ahh a $2,500 Northgate Tower... used.

Max0r said:
DUDE comps were EXPENSIVE BACK THEN! Though perhaps not as expensive as the early 386's... ahh a $2,500 Northgate Tower... used.
Yea they were, but i got that comp dirty cheap for like 200$ and I was young and stupid so I played with it ;)

Agashka said:
Most stupid thing i did was letting my sister play on it >.< joking,
i was working on my 486 and i droped the psu switch into the mobo... i thing u can guess what happend.... sparkes+smoke+burn... I was not at all angry, i just reopen the system and did it agen :) it was burn... cant be worst...

EDIT:

I plugged a pci card while my pentium 3 was running, only a BSOD and pc restarted...

The system didnt want to boot, and when I examined the board it was burned and the psu smelled as hell.

Back