• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats With The New Version Of FireFox

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've yet to have issues with Firefox 8 on the HTPC/gaming machine, but then it only gets used for ~1 h per day or less.

Defense of the rapid release cycle. Via Mitchell Baker's blog.
[Mitchell Baker is Chair of the Mozilla Foundation.]
http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2011/08/25/rapid-release-process/

I found it interesting. If your into the tl;dr thing...

A browser is the delivery vehicle for the Internet. And the Internet moves very, very quickly. Philosophically, I do not believe a product that moves at the speed of traditional desktop software can be effective at enabling an Internet where things happen in real time. If we want the browser to be the interface for the Internet, we need to make it more like the Internet. That means delivering capabilities when they are ready. That means a rapid release process. If we don’t do something like this the browser becomes a limiting factor in what the Internet can do.

Weird. I should give Firefox 8 a try. I liked the direction they were going with 4, but abandoned it for Chromium because 4 was just...clunky.
I'm using it on my Arch laptop because I'm basically forced to. It is ok. I can't remember any issues and I don't seem to have any annoyances with it. :shrug:

Firefox > Help > Restart with Add-ons disabled usually resolves any page issues with Firefox 8 or 9.

But if a page doesn't work with Google browsers - it's usually more than an add-on issue.

Still a loyal FF user. Chrome is overrated. It actually runs considerably slower for me.

I recommend only installing the final release of Firefox 8 and not trying Firefox 9 Beta.

Version 8 is important because it will not allow installation of add-ons without your permission.

Version 9 will have major speed improvements with certain web sites but those "improvements" appear to be causing some problems in this Beta stage of version 9.

I'd gladly switch if there was a way to make Verizon 8 or 9 whichever is latest look and behave EXACTLY like 3.6....when 4 first came out it felt so uncomfortable from how I was used to browsing the web...8 looks exactly like 4.

Back