• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's your fan RPM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaPoets

1 reason for water cooling is the potential for having a quiet running PC. Keep this short and sweet if you can, listing what kind of fans you use, what RPM you tend to keep them at, and the dB (noise lvl) if you know it (lots of free phone apps to measure this)
Feel free to add a pic as well!

All fixed speeds so it runs silent even under heaving gaming.

Front 360 60mm = 6 Silent Wings 3 @ 1000 RPM
Top 240 38mm = 2 Silent Wings 3 @ 700 RPM
Rear 240 28mm = 2 Silent Wings 3 @ 700 RPM
D5 pump = 4,750 RPM

28dB noise level about 1 foot away.

20190309_154014.jpg

I use 3 Gentle Typhoon fans on my radiators (max 1850 rpm, but for quiet mode I set them to 1200 rpm). I have 2 Darkside Gentle Typhoons intake case fans (max 2150 rpm usually set for 1600 rpm). The water pump is louder than the fans. When benching I turn the fans all the way up, but it's still not all that loud. I have tried a lot of fans, but these Gentle Typhoons are my current favs (good flow and quiet).

i run all of my noctuas at 800rpm which is silent for me and the corsairs at 600 to keep them quiet. anything more than that and the MLs are audible. the only time i change rpms is when im ocing benching etc. i may change it up and run a fan curve but ill probably keep them at fixed speeds to avoid them getting noisy. even at such low rpms my cpu/gpu never get hot enough to pay attention to.

I also like the GT fans. Been using them for years and I horde them like a crack addict. These are all 1800 GT's. I run them full out for benching and other streess tests. Day to day I run them about 12-1400 rpm until I get a point where they are quiet to my ears.

IMG_0598m.png IMG_0599m.png

My ambient is far from quiet. System has 6 EK vardar fans listed in my sig. Fan 3 represents the 3 that exhaust through the radiator, Fan 1 represents the 3 that intake from the bottom (not on a curve). DB measurements taken about a foot away and at ear level. I went through my house and the noise floor right now is around 40db. Most places the noise from my refrigerator (open floor plan) or breeze, birds etc outside (windows open hooray spring) is actually louder than my PC at idle while sitting at my desk. HVAC is off currently. All dB measurements taken from my phone without calibration, so interpret with caution. I will be adding a second radiator to my loop at some point, so I will update then.

Moderate load, F@H GPU and CPU - 45dB
45db.GIF

Idle - 38dB
38dB.GIF

Now that I have tuned my aquaero with a varible controller, system runs quiet most of the time but my gaming CPU temps went from a 50 degree max to a 55 degree max. The noise in the variable setup isn't bad as I usually play with a headset and when I'm reading email and doing other stuff it's quiet as a mouse. :) I have a dB meter somewhere. I should measure.

3 Yate Loon High 120mm fans. They run at 800 RPM, period. That coupled with a 3x120 rad keeps a 7960x at 50-55C gaming when running 16c/16t 1.15V or 65-70C gmaing when running 16c/32t at 1.185V.

"Fans. Who needs fans?" He said with a maniacal laugh.

Last edited:
I built my system for noise as well. I just crammed as man radiators as I could in a o11
I dont have an accurate db meter but its silent
3x360mm radiators 1x240mm

11x120mm fans run at 550-750rpm

Back