• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats your job?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I lost my job as an assistant manager with McDonalds about a month ago, now working for jack in the box as a regular employee with promises to be moved up to management shortly. Thus the reason I have been away from the forums so much.

Let me tell you, adjusting from a 10.75/hr salaried position with three weeks of paid vacation and free health insurance, down to 8.25/hr hourly with no benefits, is tough!

you would be surprised how much a job as an assistant manager at mcdonald's can help when it comes to future positions. i should know, i was one for 2 1/2 years. a lot of places look at it and see that you know how to manage people and time. that is what my last two employers said after they hired me and realized that they didn't have to "babysit" me and tell me what to do all the time. i learned how to self manage. never underestimate the power of management positions, even in fast food :)

...not to mention that i liked having the power of running the restaurant when the store manager was on vacation :D

you would be surprised how much a job as an assistant manager at mcdonald's can help when it comes to future positions. i should know, i was one for 2 1/2 years. a lot of places look at it and see that you know how to manage people and time. that is what my last two employers said after they hired me and realized that they didn't have to "babysit" me and tell me what to do all the time. i learned how to self manage. never underestimate the power of management positions, even in fast food :)

...not to mention that i liked having the power of running the restaurant when the store manager was on vacation :D

I totally hear you there! I loved my position so much, I definitely did not want to leave, but some subordinate made false claims against me for harassment and got me fired. Oh well! My GM at Jack says he is VERY impressed on my performance and knowledge. He tried showing me how to do food safety and I was doing things (the right way) before he could get back to me on the next subject! He said I should be in management in the next month or so!

I'm still looking around for another job though, something besides fast food.

When last I wrote I was an intern at $BIG_FORTUNE_500's information security group.

During the school year, I'm a system administrator for the CS department of my school. (Running Linux boxes is fun times :cool: )

I'm looking to get another internship this summer - possibly with a major airline, rather than in the computer business.

I just took a co-op at Raytheon for Jan-June. I've worked at iRobot for the last 2 years though.

Can you get me a job there??? :)
I've programmed CNC Milling Machines for the last 18 years with the same company and we are very close to closing the doors! :( Unfortunately the demand for programmers or Machinists for the matter in this area is pretty bleak. I think I need to change professions.

Can you get me a job there??? :)
I've programmed CNC Milling Machines for the last 18 years with the same company and we are very close to closing the doors! :( Unfortunately the demand for programmers or Machinists for the matter in this area is pretty bleak. I think I need to change professions.

haha, I haven't started work there yet, but I know that the machinists are unionized. The machining skills I've picked up while I was working at iRobot are useless to me now, because I can't even walk into the machine shop at Raytheon.

The industry as a whole sucks right now. Companies are closing everywhere, and the rest are all laying people off to stay afloat. If this 6 month contract at Raytheon doesn't turn in to a full time job offer, I will begin to worry about finding full time employment as an associate mechanical engineer after I graduate. It's kind of pathetic.

Hey, at least gas is cheap :rolleyes:

haha, I haven't started work there yet, but I know that the machinists are unionized. The machining skills I've picked up while I was working at iRobot are useless to me now, because I can't even walk into the machine shop at Raytheon.

The industry as a whole sucks right now. Companies are closing everywhere, and the rest are all laying people off to stay afloat. If this 6 month contract at Raytheon doesn't turn in to a full time job offer, I will begin to worry about finding full time employment as an associate mechanical engineer after I graduate. It's kind of pathetic.

Hey, at least gas is cheap :rolleyes:

Our shop at it's healthiest was 120+ employees, we're about 50 or less right now and that number decreases with every passing week! Anytime we here the intercom we cringe at the chance of our name being called to the office. I just had my right hand man laid off today and I wasn't even told about it until 30 minutes before hand, and I run the department! Oh well, 18+ years of dedicated service and $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee! :beer:

Good luck to you Mr. Roboto, hope it works out for you. :thup:

even though the econ is ****, it seems big companies are still hiring software engineers, they are though firing the older ones and hiring young ones. Fire one guy hire 3 others is their mind set.

I was working as a section manager at a collections law firm for over a year but I got tired of constant mismanagement, rotating new employees in every few weeks, and then once I finally hit the point where I was no longer bothered by the nature of the work I decided it was time to get out (before I completely lost my soul/mind). They were also beginning to start cutting staff so I figured it was a better time than any to make an exit.

After that I began taking up contract work, at one point with a large local realty group and at another with a (much better-managed) competitor of the collections firm.

Last week I started a contract assignment at a biopharmaceuticals distribution group as a general office assistant. They asked me back Monday and they've been training me in sales support all this week for a permanent position to begin next week if all goes well. Since they're essentially creating the position I'm not really sure exactly what responsibilities I'll have yet, but from what I've seen the sales staff are critical in the day-to-day work at this company, and the management is great, so I'm really hoping it'll work out.

The commute sucks, but it's South Florida so there's not really a "good" commute anywhere here really.

---------

Edit: Just got hired on as a sales and marketing associate supporting the national TBM's a couple weeks ago, and according to HR I should be controlling the sales support section soon since the current Lead is moving on to manage the warehouse. :D

Hopefully this means I'll be seeing a raise before the 90-day period is out, even if my benefits won't kick in till then.

Last edited:
i am working as anykeyschik* in areva corp. i got diploma of my technical college also i study in polytechnic university ( college and university are difference in russia, college is a middle between school and high-school (university), like a middle education. &) )

maybe soon i will lost my job, because our company have a crisis. at any rate my wage will reduce. ogrhm, its very depress me ^( i dont wanna work for food only(

ps -
In Russian, the computer slang term 'Anykeyschik*' (Russian: Эникейщик) is used to describe a low-grade computer technician implying that his job consists of pressing 'any key' when necessary. - for people which dont know what its mean. ^)

21 - worked in the credit repair business for 6 months running an office before the economy effectively shut us down, prior to that i ran a cellular shop for a year but due to our crappy location customers couldnt find us nor could new customers drive by and see us..so we were open for a little less than a year before the owner went bankrupt
(the biz, divorce..whole mess of things - but we really weren't making anything)
started working for my friends mom this week helping her run a few of her resturants
This morning i got a very surprising phone call and got offered the position as master technician for a local cellular franchise...super excited, the guy hiring me is the owner of the entire franchise..effectively become his right hand man..im hyped and i get to to play with the latest toys, firmwares..everything, and my own office - im stoked considering the state of the economy and that i was chosen out of many for the job, really made me realize how important connections can be in this life!
Also going back to school in Jan for business
dt.venom - Здравствуйте и добро пожаловать в форум :)

Last edited:
I've been an industrial maintenance mechanic for the past 30 years, the last 23 of which were for a county law enforcement agency in So. Calif. I repair everything in the detention centers(jails), mostly locks, security hardware as well as HVAC and commercial kitchen machinary.

"Master-of-all-trades-but_only_paid_for_just_one" =p

I'm working as a lab assistant for chemistry labs at my university, a tutor, and my girlfriend and I run a very small photography business. We only do a few clients a week, but at $150 an hour and no studio space rental it is just fine.

I am a problem analyst in lan support for a large multi faceted corporation. It's entry level, and most people get in through other people they know, for example I didn't actually "apply" for the job, my friend handed in an out of date resume a week before I finished the degree i was working on and the job just sort of fell into my lap. That being said, I handle password resets for many of our systems, some on mainframes, some basic windows applications, and some for our active directory/exchange/windows systems. Basically, in a nutshell, I'm tech support, but not for the internet company... for the company I work for, and I work with other employees to make sure they stay working, not with customers (and it's awesome).

I recently got moved to night shift (volunteered for the position) so I could train our entire help desk to do our job so we don't have to have an on call. So yeah, I'm graveyard, and I get paid like it. This whole third shift differential thing is kind of nice.

I'm a 19 year old pre-medicine student hoping to get into medical school.

I work/volunteer at UIC Medical School as a research assistant; hoping to become an independent researcher soon =]. My mentor and I are currently working to find out more/cure/treat Parkison's disease.

During vacations I also work for Dupage Medical Group as a medical assistant. I really like the atmosphere and the job itself as well. You really get to know, see and feel what being a physician is really like.

Using Z/OS? Mainframe programming was interesting.
Yep.. 1.9

We use Z/OS on our IBM mainframe. Release 1.7. I am still learning lots about this platform
We are on 1.9 and moving to 1.10 or 11.

1.7 is almost not supported anymore...If your company hasnt looked into upgrading it already, it really should..

PS - Im from NE ohio... (Solon). :)

Back