• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats your job?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well thats a little more north, and a little more east than me lol, im in Columbia Station (Lorain county)
Yea they need to upgrade everything. We have a Tandem system as well, but our budget is very tight right now.

I work as a computer services manager at a local university. Basically, I write reports using SQL and use some Perl/SQL to automate processes for the financial aid office. Also get to do some web maintenance and, of course, basic tech support for the office. This is a new job/career for me, I just started in October. I worked in higher ed for the last ten years but always from the administration side of things, never did any tech work.

I'm a student. 16 years old. just got my Learner Permit for a drivers licence. what do they call it in US? it's like the permit that allows you to start learning how to drive.

2 years of compulsory school left! then to Uni ftw.

I'm a student. 16 years old. just got my Learner Permit for a drivers licence. what do they call it in US? it's like the permit that allows you to start learning how to drive.

2 years of compulsory school left! then to Uni ftw.

Pretty much the same in states, except you typically get the learners permit at 15, then take the drivers test at 16 - does vary from state to state though.

Pretty much the same in states, except you typically get the learners permit at 15, then take the drivers test at 16 - does vary from state to state though.

WHAT???????!?!?! you can officially drive solo at 16?!

that is uber...i mean awesome. *flying to USA right now to get license*.

is there anything like a probationary licence that you have to keep for 2-3 years before you carry a full license? here in Aus, after you obtain your license (if you're 18) you have to hold a probationary licence for 3 years. in this period, if you get caught for drunk driving, speeding etc. the consequences are much greater.

but if you're 21, you only have to old the probationary license for 1 year.

Have you seen his car?

Oh, it wasn't a joke about him being a recruiter. I just love how he coded it. :santa:

What kind of car is it, btw?

( I miss my mustang, that thing was so much fun to drive, but a spin out into a ditch at 60 sort of ruins a car )

WHAT???????!?!?! you can officially drive solo at 16?!

that is uber...i mean awesome. *flying to USA right now to get license*.

is there anything like a probationary licence that you have to keep for 2-3 years before you carry a full license? here in Aus, after you obtain your license (if you're 18) you have to hold a probationary licence for 3 years. in this period, if you get caught for drunk driving, speeding etc. the consequences are much greater.

but if you're 21, you only have to old the probationary license for 1 year.
NOW (in PA at least) you get your learners permit for 6 months if you are under 18 and 3 months if you are over 18. After that, you take a drivers test, normally a quick jaunt around the block with a parallel park to finish it off and you can drive solo.. When I got mine back in 98 I had my permit for 3 months by choice. I got it on my 16th birthday and got my license just a few months later.

HOWEVER
They REALLY need to do something like that here... too many boneheaded young punks with mommy and daddys car not paying attention and not having enough skill and experience to know how to drive CORRECTLY.
When I was a senior in highschool just under half of my class had gotten into an accident of some sort and of those more then half were total losses. One of my class actually missed graduation because she was in the hospital. Another wrecked IN THE PARKING LOT. He was showing off for his friends and tried to do a burn out, but the car was in REVERSE and he nailed the car behind him. KIDS need to learn..
They REALLY need to change the driving laws out here.
I have been in one accident in my ten years behind the wheel and it was due to some old guy pulling out in front of me from a stop sign. Im not saying im a perfect driver, no one is, I have done my fair share of stupid things behind the wheel but now, when i look back, I can see that I REALLY wasnt mature enough to handle a 2000lb+ death machine at the age of 16.

/back on topic...

Back