• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where are my internet explorer passwords stored and can I save them?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

themeecer

I am getting ready to reformat my hard drive, a practice I normally do a few times a year. I've backed up everything I want to keep, including items like my favorite's folder. One of the most annoying things when reinstalling my programs and setting my preferences is loosing all my internet explorer passwords. Normally I have to reset my passwords in half the cases, because I can't remember them. I know the passwords are encrypted and unviewable, but is there a file these are all contained in that I can copy and paste into my explorer folder at a later time, saving me the trouble of manually entering them?

Second question: I've recently started using mozilla firefox in addition to ie and I don't know where my bookmarks are saved. Are they automatically placed in your ie favorite's folder or are they elsewhere?

Thanks for any help. I am awaiting an answer before I format.

as for the ie passwords, i don't know where those are saved but the firefox bookmarks are saved at: C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name in windows>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.bts right in that folder is a file called "bookmarks.html". Just put that back in the firefox directory after you reinstall.

Thanks guys!!!! Very fast response. That passview program is scary .. I didn't know there was anything like that. So much for encryption.

That Protected Storage PassView program has stopped working. Wonder if it has anything to do with Service pack 2?

I'm not sure about IE passwords but I know most of your windows passwords are in a file called pwl do a search for it. I tihnk its in c:/widnows not in any sub folders. This may be wrong though, also if doing a reformat maybe you should use liek eraser 5.0 form download.com it deletes boot sectores and stuff like that, restore cds often leave these untouched so watch out for that. :attn:

Back