• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where is my bottleneck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lennytiger

Hey All,

So I built a relatively inexpensive Haswell system as in the specs below.

Was just wondering if someone could point me in the direction of the weakest component. I have a suspisicon think it is my GPU. I know the CPU is not hugely powerful, but in time as money allows I will upgrade to an i5/i7.

Your 'bottleneck' depends on what you're doing. That CPU, despite being a dual core, at 4.2 is plenty for almost anything, inclusive of gaming.

If you're talking gaming, then your graphics card is definitely a major bottleneck. If you want an efficient, quiet, low power system, check my sig! Running same CPU (downgraded from an i7 4770k) and GTX 750 Ti (Downgraded from GTX 670). No issues running games at 1440p at medium/high settings really. I'm sure there's a couple games I'd have issues with, but I don't game much anymore.

The other thing I'd say is get an SSD.

If anything, upgrading to an SSD will make a noticeable difference in "snappiness".Going with a powerful GPU with a weak CPU is akin to buying a $1000 saddle for a $10 horse.

If anything, upgrading to an SSD will make a noticeable difference in "snappiness".Going with a powerful GPU with a weak CPU is akin to buying a $1000 saddle for a $10 horse.

Have you seen G3258 benchmarks? It keeps up with i5's in gaming if you OC it to about 4.7Ghz+. That's not bad for a CPU that costs less than a decent bottle of scotch.

Your 'bottleneck' depends on what you're doing. That CPU, despite being a dual core, at 4.2 is plenty for almost anything, inclusive of gaming.

If you're talking gaming, then your graphics card is definitely a major bottleneck. If you want an efficient, quiet, low power system, check my sig! Running same CPU (downgraded from an i7 4770k) and GTX 750 Ti (Downgraded from GTX 670). No issues running games at 1440p at medium/high settings really. I'm sure there's a couple games I'd have issues with, but I don't game much anymore.

The other thing I'd say is get an SSD.

I gotta ask. Why did you downgrade your PC?

I gotta ask. Why did you downgrade your PC?

Wasn't utilising it. My brother plays games more than me. Bought him the 750 Ti. Ended up swapping cards because he plays games more. And cpu wise I can't tell the difference really. At all. Windows is just as snappy, and I barely do any of my media or photoshop work anymore. It's plenty fast still. Made a few bucks back by selling the 4770k as well. :).

My computer is barely on anymore honestly, so eh.

Back