• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where is the EEE 901?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jayws

Didn't it come out June 3rd? I can't find it anywhere and I really want to get my hands on it.

- Small
- Light
- Good battery life
- SSD
- LED backlighting

A Palm is a real laptop now? :D

Dunno, I just don't see any need to have a device in between a pocket size and a regular laptop. Specially not when you could buy a Palm/PocketPC/whatever PLUS a real laptop for the price of an EEE. Guess it's for the iphone crowd..

Dunno, I just don't see any need to have a device in between a pocket size and a regular laptop. Specially not when you could buy a Palm/PocketPC/whatever PLUS a real laptop for the price of an EEE. Guess it's for the iphone crowd..

Right, now that you've made your point in a thread about finding an EEE 901, how about telling me where I can find an EEE 901?:rolleyes:

The eePC has a defined niche market and is very appealing to some. An older coworker of mine bought a 900 for his grandkids to take with them when they travel.

I have a 901 and i must say its pretty much trash. I bought my g/f a 701 8g and i was expecting it to be much like hers. heres my major beef with the 901

batt. life sucks compaired to the 701

wifi range is total and utter crap. the 701's got very nice range and my 901 cant pick up 80% of the networks around me.

the 701 really impressed me and the 901 i thought would equaly impress me but i was wrong. After i turned it on i was left very disapointed.

Hmm... Your post has got me thinking uberwoot.

You see I own a 701 4GB which I am very happy with, I use it mainly for wifi access all around the house and also as an OBD-II terminal (along with an ELM-327 USB CAN box).

I was thinking of selling my 701 to get a 901, mainly for the larger screen (the truth is that its the resolution that is the problem with the 701, not the 7").

Could the wifi reception be a problem of the Linux atheros driver? I remember the 701 had problems connecting to hotspots and it was due to a buggy driver, with XP wireless worked flawlessly...

As for availability, the 901 is out, here in Europe at least. A couple of friends received theirs about 2 weeks ago from clove.co.uk :)

Damnit, you guys have me thinking about these things now.

I have a dream: Small small PC, perhaps 7-9" screen, 640x480, 486 or Pentium class CPU, 16 MB RAM, ~1GB storage, full keyboard (smaller keys though) with soundblaster (maybe pro) and 512K SVGA or so. These days, all those features could be built into a single tiny chip (maybe put the storage off-die though) that uses hardly any power. Give it DOS and Win95. Give it a 12 hour battery. Give it to me for $200 and I'll buy a half dozen.

Since that might not happen, do any of these mini laptops have the balls to run dosbox?

I have a 901 and i must say its pretty much trash. I bought my g/f a 701 8g and i was expecting it to be much like hers. heres my major beef with the 901

batt. life sucks compaired to the 701

wifi range is total and utter crap. the 701's got very nice range and my 901 cant pick up 80% of the networks around me.

the 701 really impressed me and the 901 i thought would equaly impress me but i was wrong. After i turned it on i was left very disapointed.

Lower battery life is to be expected with a larger screen, if you could do a comparison with acutal figures other than your subjective opinion I'd appreciate it. As for the wifi, linux and ubuntu especially has always had wifi problems, that's not news. I will be using windows XP.

A question to those with the 901. It says that it supports wireless-N, does it also support B and G? I need those.

You see I own a 701 4GB which I am very happy with, I use it mainly for wifi access all around the house and also as an OBD-II terminal (along with an ELM-327 USB CAN box).

Auto use is a great application for these things. I'm on the fence about XP/ Linux. I was thinking it would be a good excuse to learn Linux, though. Wifi issues in Linux? That could be a deal breaker.

Its cool you can 'overclock' the wind when you have AC power. Similar Wind blog.

Last edited:
Auto use is a great application for these things. I'm on the fence about XP/ Linux. I was thinking it would be a good excuse to learn Linux, though. Wifi issues in Linux? That could be a deal breaker.

Similar Wind blog.

Well I'll be getting the linux version for the increased SSD capacity, then put an existing copy of windows XP on it.

Dauphin PC

Yes, it exist, it's called the Dauphin DTR-1. I had one until last year. Still have some spare parts for it, LCD, HD, keyboard.

Damnit, you guys have me thinking about these things now.

I have a dream: Small small PC, perhaps 7-9" screen, 640x480, 486 or Pentium class CPU, 16 MB RAM, ~1GB storage, full keyboard (smaller keys though) with soundblaster (maybe pro) and 512K SVGA or so. These days, all those features could be built into a single tiny chip (maybe put the storage off-die though) that uses hardly any power. Give it DOS and Win95. Give it a 12 hour battery. Give it to me for $200 and I'll buy a half dozen.

Since that might not happen, do any of these mini laptops have the balls to run dosbox?

Back