• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which 2.8 P4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maximus_OC

i am planning on putting together a new system here within the next couple months. i am trying to figure out which P4 to go with. I like the price of the 2.8C. But I have also heard decent stuff about the prescotts. Which cpu do you guys recommend? Also is there a way I can specify which stepping and all that I get? If so what the best 2.8c chip to get?? Is there a site that sales them at a decent price and lets you select which chip you get? I have also heard that the 2.8E chips that will be coming out in May will be better for overclocking. Is it worth waiting for them? Which chip will I be able to push the farthest with good air cooling on a IC7 MOBO. I am looking to get 3.5 ghz + One last thing do some of the prescott chips come with HT and some do not?? I seem to have read about both instances?

Really only two steppings for the 2.8C... the D1 and M0 steppings. The M0 SL6Z5 is probably the preferred one. At one time newegg.com was shipping them (not sure if they still are).

If you want a Prescott, I'd wait until the new steppings arrive in May. Really, the Northwoods available right now are perfectly fine.

If you are using air cooling, I'd recommend the 2.8C instead of the 2.8E. Prescotts need more cooling.

All 800 bus Prescotts have HT, it's the 533 bus Prescotts that will not have HT.

ok cool thanks for the info. I haven't really gotten into OC that much, so the 2.8C looks to be the way to go. everytime I post it seems like you are the guy who answers. i looked at pcsupplysource.com and found that they are shipping out the M0 SL6Z5 for $186 free shipping. I know I asked this before but if I go with the 2.8C, IC7, decent heatsink, and RAM will I be able to get to 3.6 ghz. If not what would be the limiting factor? I ask this because I have a friend with a 3.06 P4, gigabyte MB, and cheap RAM that is at 3.5 ghz. He spent way too much on his barebones system. I want to build this system for alot less and clock higher than him.

Back