• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 3x120 or 3x140x60mm Rad Would You Choose and Why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I dont know if you have your build all mapped out but i have found Cross-flow rads can help alot in some cases for tubing runs .
You looking for Max Cooling ? Low Noise Lvl ? A mix ?
Lower FPI can use slower fans but might have a bit less cooling capacity .
What case ? does it have room for 60+25+ for the fan ?
Front or top mouniting ?

I dont know if you have your build all mapped out but i have found Cross-flow rads can help alot in some cases for tubing runs .
You looking for Max Cooling ? Low Noise Lvl ? A mix ?
Lower FPI can use slower fans but might have a bit less cooling capacity .
What case ? does it have room for 60+25+ for the fan ?
Front or top mouniting ?

yep low noise with the best cooling possible. the ek xe is great across all fan speeds so im leaning towards that but i really like the ut60 being that its already painted and being a little bigger than the xe. it performs right up there with the best of them at most speeds but its expensive compared to the ex. the only other white 360 or 420 ive found is the hardware labs gear which is also expensive. both the sr2 and nemesis are $50 more than the xe. i havent tried one of their rads in years.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/blac...e-xtreme-profile-radiator-white.html#Features
http://www.performance-pcs.com/hardware-labs-black-ice-sr2-multiport-satin-white-radiator-420mm.html
its going to be externally mounted on the back of the case(the reason why im going to paint it). so thickness wont matter.
forgot to mention the hwlabs 360s are right in the same ballpark price wise as the ut60 at $125/$120.

I think it comes down to fans. Which one pushes air better at low audibles better. I still believe the standard for that is 120mm because the fan options we have versus the 140s. Up to you really.

i hear ya, its much harder to find good fans for 140mm. im still torn, id like to replace the thermochill rad in my main rig with a new 420 and use the thermochill in the backup rig. i like the extra ports in the ut60 but the xe is just a great all around performer from what ive read about it. then again the ut60 is also very good.

One of the main reasons why I like Alphacool's rads is the multi ports that gives you many options to choose from like making a refill or drain port too making the routing look cleaner and easier to deal with.

My 2 cents:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/hard...atin-white-radiator-420mm.html#Specifications

The 420 radiator has 300w more cooling capability than the 360, I have used both Black Ice and Alphacool, they are both good radiators but if I was buying today this is what I would buy. It is capable of 1800w with 3 x 140mm 60 cfm fans.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/akas...-pwm-140mm-case-fan-black.html#Specifications

Akasa fans are great they push 89cfm at 22 dba with a 2.76 static pressure, I guarantee you they will get the job done.

Whatever you choose, good luck to you! Ryan

coincidentally thats exactly what i ended up ordering! all of the other 420s were about an inch too tall for my current set up so i had to go with the sr2 but in black carbon. im actually going to pull the thermochill pe360 out of my main rig and use it in the back up system. ive got the shroud for it so ill paint that rather than the rad. after measuring the amount of space i had in the front of my case i quickly realized that most 420s are alot taller than 360s. 2 to 3 inches taller. the ek ce is 18 inches+, the ut60 is almost 20 and the ek xe 360 is right at 16 inches along with the thermochill. fortunately the sr2 420 is just under 18 inches and thats all the room i have, just barely 18 inches.
as for the fans im still looking. those akasa are incredible. especially the static pressure rating, thats friggin amazing. i dont think ive ever seen a rating that high. they are very tempting but im an led junky haha. i needs me some color in mah fans! annnd thats the problem. there just arent many rgb or led 140s that are anything close to those akasas much less acceptable for an intake rad. still searching for the ideal fan(in my mind).

welll, ive already got a ton of leds inside the case but i want to fire the front up like i have it now. ive got 4 32led 120s in front right now that look pretty sweet and have solid cfm and static pressure for 120s. im seriously considering those akasas. ive found some silverstone rgb fan grills but im not sure i want to go with them. the snow flake thing is meh. i would have to get the controller that goes with them too. so all told im looking at around $100.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/silverstone-plastic-140mm-fan-grille-and-28-pcs-rgb-led-strip.html
for that kind of loot i can get the tt rgb fans.
ive been looking at thermaltakes static pressure 140s and they arent too bad at 1.53. theres also rgb 200mm fans that will work off of the included controller that have great cfm/dba and pressure ratings.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKBKYCQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
the 200s
http://www.thermaltake.com/Cooler/C...n_Single_Fan_Pack_with_Controller_/design.htm
im leaning more towards the tt fans right now. if akasa made those Apaches with rgb id be all over them.

Ironically in my scenario if I was in your shoes Akasa would release the LED line a couple of months after buying the TTs. The TTs look OK if that's what you're after, I put some in my nieces computer, but her machine isn't overclocked at all. You haven't mentioned any overclocking intentions, My Bad!, that's why I recommended the Akasa fans I did as every little bit of cooling you can get helps with that. Sometimes my assumptions get me into trouble as I am always after the little extra when it comes to overclocking and many could care less if case esthetiques is all they're really after.

i find my max stable and save the bios profile for gaming and benching. i dont do much of either anymore. when i do tho this 6850 gets HOT. im talking 4.7 on prime small ffts and it will hit 90c instantly. i can game all day at 4.7 but with prime it will throttle at that speed instantly. so maybe ill get lucky with the new rad and hit 4.8 before it throttles! haha seriously, i am upgrading the back up rig and needed a second rad for that loop. so i figured i would upgrade my thermochill 360 with the best rad i could fit and swap the tc360 to the back up. so basically upgrading two at once :)
for the most part i run my rig at stock until the urge hits me. so running the tts will get me by. i just dont game like i used to.

xspc released their 120mm, rgb, rad fans! they are rated for 2.41mmAQ(aq= same as h20) 68cfm max! to bad they havent released a 140mm fan yet :( im going to pick up a 3pack for the backup rig at some point.

Back