• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Batch/Stepping of 2.8c is a great overclocker.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dark_templar

Would like to get one 2.8c to replace my 2.4c. Currently 2.4c @ 3.18 at default vcore. Want to get one 2.8c which can run 3.3 @ default vcore.

which batch or stepping can do this...

I had very good luck with my previous SL6Z5, which is an M0 stepping. If you can find one, they seem to do 3.5GHz without any problem.
Chances are they will be dated sometime between Nov and Dec of 2003.

Agreed, probably the oldest M0 stepping you can find would be the best overclocker that's commonly known. There are other batches that were lucky in certain dates, but the first M0's (SL6Z5) were pretty darned good.

Hmmz...
Okie maybe i will walk around to check out whether shops in my area still got stock...

thankz...
anyone still got any advice ?

If you can find the SL6Z5, that will easily give you 3.4 gig on average and probably more with good cooling. Probably any 2.8C out there will hit 3.3 gig. I have an older SL6WJ that does 3.5 gig.

here is my experience with the 2.8C M0 (SL6Z5).... 1st one wouldnt oc more then 3.3ghz.... 2nd one (which Im currently running off of) is at 3.6ghz stable .... 3rd (i was building a system for someone and wanted to see how she would o/c)... I tried 3.5ghz... didnt boot so I didnt even try for anything more.... it seems that M0s are just as likely to be poor o/cers as any other batch before... at least from my experience... If youre lucky then you will get a 3.5GHz+ o/c , but dont be suprised if you dont!

Got my 2.8c M0 stepping today. Could post into windows at 3.5 but running prime95 would hang... First time i have encounter this. Anyone knows why primming would hang ?

add more voltage until it gets stable in prime... for comparison I run 3.6ghz @ 1.625v... I would recommend it no higher then what I have it now...

I'd try 1.6v first. Mine seemed happy with that. If need be, you should feel safe using all the way up to 1.65v. I wouldn't go any higher though.

I dun think i need to up voltage so high right. Currently running at 3.4 with default voltage stable. I tried 3.5 with vocre1.55 but runinng prime95 would hang the system.

Anyway anyone knows why this happens ?

Because it needs more voltage at higher speeds when you are approaching the limit of the CPU. That's typical.

batboy said:
Because it needs more voltage at higher speeds when you are approaching the limit of the CPU. That's typical.

I thought when primming if reaching the limit of the CPU it will just generate errors in prime95 instead of hang the system. I guess i will just find the highest i can go with default vcore first.

All the 2.80Cs I've tried did 3.3 gig at 1.45-1.525 volts, but they hit a wall fast from there. Basically, you needed to increase VCORE by 0.05, e.g., 1.55 to 1.60 to gain a 2 mhz more overclock. So they topped out around 3.45-3.5 gig at maybe 1.68+ volts. This is on air. All the ones I tried were either MO steps or Lxxxxx Malays.

They are crappy CPUs too; each CPU has a unique behavior. A few passed all 3D except the High Polygon test in 3DMark2001. I think two would pass all 3D except the CPU2 test in 3DMark2003, where I had to up VCORE to 1.75 from 1.68 to pass it.

If you run water you can gain maybe 5 mhz more on them.

Dark_templar said:
Anyway anyone knows why this happens ?

i think each processor has its own way of showing instablity, some hang, others crash in prime, ive tried 4x2.8C processors and 2 hanged when it was unstable and 2 crashed in prime95.. so i guess its just the way the processor is

Clevor said:
All the 2.80Cs I've tried did 3.3 gig at 1.45-1.525 volts, but they hit a wall fast from there. Basically, you needed to increase VCORE by 0.05, e.g., 1.55 to 1.60 to gain a 2 mhz more overclock. So they topped out around 3.45-3.5 gig at maybe 1.68+ volts. This is on air. All the ones I tried were either MO steps or Lxxxxx Malays.

They are crappy CPUs too; each CPU has a unique behavior. A few passed all 3D except the High Polygon test in 3DMark2001. I think two would pass all 3D except the CPU2 test in 3DMark2003, where I had to up VCORE to 1.75 from 1.68 to pass it.

If you run water you can gain maybe 5 mhz more on them.

I tried my CPU running 3dmark03 no problems. Currently vcore is set in bios is 1.525v and CPU-Z shows 1.488 at idle.

Back