• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which cpu, is mine up to the job

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
for me I would skip the 8 core for gaming, games only use up to 4 cores anyway so I would go with a 6350, if, and this would be a big if, I were to change cpus at all.
try being cheap and go into bios and disable 4 cores and clock the active cores.
less heat, higher clocks, better gaming, win, win, win.

for me I would skip the 8 core for gaming, games only use up to 4 cores anyway so I would go with a 6350, if, and this would be a big if, I were to change cpus at all.
try being cheap and go into bios and disable 4 cores and clock the active cores.
less heat, higher clocks, better gaming, win, win, win.

hi, ok so if i disable 4 cores then the 4 i have left will do the same job, sorry i dont really know abt this stuff, dont know if im confident enough to do this, so would i be better getting a 4 core cpu, but would i get the 4.0 hz from that or would i need to oc it, tnx ,im confused now as i thought the 8350 or the 8320 were good for gaming, i cant afford to got intel so just want a cpu to run my games the best to the system ability :)

What games do you play kevvy? BF4 as far as I know will use all 8 cores. Most other games will not. C_D has a good idea if you're just gaming and not really in need of an 8 core monster.

What games do you play kevvy? BF4 as far as I know will use all 8 cores. Most other games will not. C_D has a good idea if you're just gaming and not really in need of an 8 core monster.

i play bf4,farcry 3, will be playing farcry 4, been playing cod advance warfare, crysis3, also old cod and bf2 and 3 ,do you think id be better going with 4 core cpu, if so which one do you think please ,many tnx :)

With playing bf4 you'd be better off sticking with 8 cores.

so do i go with the 8350 or the 8320 bearing in mind i dont want to overclock, i know you are experts at this stuff, but im on a limited budget, im disabled,so my income is limited,so my computer is my outside world and i dont want to kill it, :0

first off, disable 4 cores, clock it up some, play the games you play and see if your happy.
I game with a 4790k 4core/ 4thread cpu, I never game with anymore than the 4 cores. and most games 2 cores is plenty.
try that first please.
and just info, an 8350 will almost always be better than an 8320, an 8320 is an 8350 that couldn't make specs.

While you are waiting and saving go ahead and do what C_D is saying. See how it does for you before you do spend money. We can help you through the overclocking process.

Never know it may bring new life back to your chip and do what you're wanting it to do.

wow thank you all for your help,nice to know that there are nice people left, so do i switch the 4 cores of in bios, the crossfire formula bios is ok for me to use, i did the bios update :)

You cannot shutddown core #0 which maybe numbered as core #1 in your bios. For that reason I would start at the 4 highest numbered cores and disable them.
RGone...ster.

thankyou RGone, well my dark rock pro 3 turned up today, wow its a monster, should fit ok in my case, be intresting to see what temp i get now :)

It should definitely be an improvement just for the fact that it'll pull air from the front of the case and not off of the Vid cards.

tnx johan, it seem silly that that fan i had did,nt ,but my temps were,nt so bad run farcry 4 yestaday and the cpu temp was 43c and grapic cards were 58c and 52c for both cards, but i did notice my fps went from 93 avg to 74avg, seems weird, and go some stuttering ,any ideas please or is my 8120 not up to it ??

Unless you have a 120Hz monitor I would just run the game with V-Sync on, that should helps smooth things out. If not then maybe your CPU does need a boost.

hi johan, sorry did,nt put my monitor on my sig,will sort that ,im running a 144hz aoc monitor,was all good with advace warfare,so not sure whats going on, but am looking at the 8350,just goota save for it, i have v-sync off for my games . this is the linky for my monitor, one question can i run hdmi cable from my card to my monitor on its own ,many tnx :) http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-007-AO

Ya that's the issue right there your cards can't keep up to the refresh rate of your monitor. I don't have much experience with monitors like that TBH. Is it possible for you to change refresh rates on your monitor?
HDMI works fine depending on where your sound comes from. I use the HDMI cable but run my speaker through the on board sound. When I install the GFX driver I just do a custom install and de-select the HDMI audio driver. You also have to disable the speakers on the monitor to do this.

Back