• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you're encoding, cores are king. They're all so close in price - I would go with the FX-6300 unless you really need to save $20 on the FX-6100. The 6100 will perform pretty similarly, but you might wish later that you had spent the extra $20 for the faster CPU.

Hope you're not planning on overclocking any of those CPUs with that motherboard except maybe the FX-4170.

Last edited:
The board doesn't have a very heavy duty power phase. The higher end FX CPUs draw large amounts of power and produce large amounts of heat when overclocked beyond a minimum. Neither does the board have any sinks on the VRMs.

And the Corsair H60 will probably not be adequate to cool a significantly overclocked FX 8 core.

No heatsinks on the VRM's which supply the processor with the appropriate voltage needed.

OK think i'll return the biostar when it gets here and go with this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128440
Think I'll get the fx-4170 while its on sale..Was just thinking I stll have my system in my sig to do the heavy stuff...

GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3 AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard << Not a whole lot better for the FX cpus. There were changes made in the specs for 9XX boards and the FX series processors. And you can look at the Asus boards being released in R.2 just as the newer Vishera FX processors hit the market.

They can call an 8XX chipset board ready for AM3+ but that will not make it a true AM3+ board. The socket maybe changed to AM3+ but the rest is not changed over.

I suppose you could try it but if it begins to give problems after a little bit of time, then you will know for sure what the deal is. YMMV. Good luck man.

Back