• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which I7 to get? 860 or 920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atm743

Ok i was reading this last night,
http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-750-core-i7-860-870-processor-review-test/
looks like a SLIGHT performance boost over the 920 is most test but the thing is that should i go for this?

i guess these are on a different socket and only support dual channel ddr3 not tri channel.

i want to just get a 920 (hopefully DO so i can overclock the crap out of it) but don't want to be stuck with a motherboard with a socket that is out dated

so is this new socket going to replace the current 1366 sockets? i would wait for the gulftown but being thats going to be a Extreme cpu i don't have a grand to dump on a cpu (wish i did though cause 6 core 12 threads sure sounds awesome)

well what should i do guys. i plan on upgrading my cpu, ram and motherboard for Christmas/birthday this winter.

1366 still has i9 to go and a die shrink I believe. 1156 Im thinking would be more limited as its a mainstream type chip. But note that is just a guess.

1156 socket i5/i7 p55 combo is too new yet but first reviews look like it's a better value for gaming but if your ultimate desire is 6 cores than the 1366 platform is where you want to be.

Well blow me down. Thank you. I stand corrected. I thought all S1156 were i5's! What a silly naming convention.

Well, considering you can get an i7 920 for about $40-$60 cheaper than the 860, Id go w/ the LGA1366 platform as there will be bigger and better things to come. Also, if you desire pure performance, the 1366platform will always perform a bit better than the 1156.

Personally, I dont understand Intel's thinking on the pricing. Granted, the 860 has a slightly higher stock clock, but the 920 D0's can overclock to 4ghz without breaking a sweat. I think 1156 is just something for us to play with, but if you want a long-term system go with 1366.

hmm, so basiclly these 1156 sockets are for midstream market?

if the gulftown is going to be 1366 socket then in i guess they are not faseing out the 1366 socket :) ill probably just get a 920 then.

damn this stupid name change crap remindes me of Nvidia's doing with the GT100 and GT200 series. and i don't understand this I7 and 1156 business? i also though it was just core I3 and I5 for this socket.

i guess its a budget I7 platform dual channel ddr3 and Graphics though the Cpu no the North bridge

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5,2410.html

Yes, it's Tom's, but give it a read and it should sort out the naming system for you.
Essentially, Core i7 (LGA 1156) = Core i5 + HyperThreading.

this was on their first page

i watched it. seems neat that the core i7 1156 will do away with the north bridge and have the pci express go though the cpu. wounder if this will help in sli compared to X58 chipset ?

idk im still kinda unsure which to get. i have a feeling i should just get a P55 motherboard and get the 860. but i really would like tri channel ram. i just am afraid that if i get a 1366 (920) that it will become out dated and the 1156 will replace the socket.

this was on their first page

i watched it. seems neat that the core i7 1156 will do away with the north bridge and have the pci express go though the cpu. wounder if this will help in sli compared to X58 chipset ?

idk im still kinda unsure which to get. i have a feeling i should just get a P55 motherboard and get the 860. but i really would like tri channel ram. i just am afraid that if i get a 1366 (920) that it will become out dated and the 1156 will replace the socket.
LGA1156 will not replace LGA1366, ever... LGA1156 future use as mainstream will also see on die gpu/dual core cpus. this is thru the use of the DMI buss on LGA1156 which is slower then QPI. 8x pcie is still 8x no matter how you slice it on die or not. though there are few review sites showing it being faster but i dont recall the resolutions being run.
It cant help I dont think. PCI-e lanes are still 8x/8x arent they? 16x/16x for X58.
lga1156 cpus right now have a total of 16lanes of PCIE 2.0, so in cf or sli it is 8x/8x. since the pcie lanes are on the chipset there is more area to work with to have dual 16x lanes for cf/sli. i dont think till lga1156 cpus get a die shrink will/might we see full 32lanes of pcie on die.

Back