• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Intel P4's are best for overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jenkx

I'm new to this forum and seeking advise. Which Intel P4's are best for overclocking? I have heard that the 2.4's and the 3.0's are good. I have a 2.6 and have gotten it to 2.8 I have a good cooling system. I know that I can go higher but I cant break the 3.0 mark without the computer locking up at startup. I read about people going to 3.4 and beyond. I'd like to get up there too. What P4's are best for the task of overclocking.

I had the choice between a 2.4C and a 3.0C -- I made the mistake of getting a 2.4C, its a great stepping... but it just doesnt do the job... maybe if I had watercooling...

I think you'd get better results with a 3.0C on air, than a 2.4C on air.

Is it worth getting a 3.2 or a 3.4 and overclocking them or is a 3.0 good enough? I thought that the prescots would run cooler because they can use less voltage. I may be wrong.

2.4c and 3.0c are the best, i would go for 3.0c -- 2.4c just aint cutting it, and if it is you need pc4800 memory, only just arriving now.

Just get a 3.0c from a big place the shifts alot -- you'll get a new model (Better)

Even though prescotts use a smaller proccess, most mobos overvolt them by up to 0,2v, comparativly that is like taking a northwood from stock volts to phasechange volts...

~t0m

I have a 2.4c I have been able to get it to 290x12 3.480 on water cooling. It does overvolt on my P4P 800. But I'm happy with it.

the one issue that never really gets addressed when someone asks what cpu is best for overclocking is what ram do you have?
what MB?
you can have a great chip and never be able to see its full potential because your ram wont let it. a 2.4 is gonna take some mean fsb to get it up in the 3.5 range.
so really i would say if you got some top end ram and it can go way up there in fsb without locking up then your better off with a 2.4
but if your ram is less then spectacular you may be better off with the 3.0
i score the same on 3dmark2001se at 4.2 ghz with 3/4/4/8
as i do with 3.6 ghz and 2.5/3/3/6
but some program like prime95 benchmark will kick butt at high mhz and not matter so much on the fsb.

so when you say whats the better chip, id think that they are all the same they just have a different multiplier locked in.

some chips suck, some dont. its a chance thing that you get a good one. only thing you can do is try to find what will best suit the rest of your system.

Amourek said:
If you don't need Hyperthreading, get a 2.4A 533FSB Prescott. They overclock very well.

I've been thinking of going that way... I wonder how these baby prescotts are for gaming?

Back