• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which LGA1150 Motherboard to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NightPatrol

Registered
Hey guys,

I'm upgrading my system to an i7-4790K, and I have been searching for a good motherboard for it. The all seem to be too cheap or too expensive. My budget is $180-200. I'm looking for: Lots of USB 3.0 on rear panel, Full ATX, Good looks (don't care about color scheme), boards that can have a water block (not that important), and general quality. I've done quite a lot of research, but I'm getting either $100 motherboards which don't have much to offer or $400 motherboards which is too much for me. Hope you guy can help. Thanks!

Any reason you are not buying Skylake (6700K - the latest Intel processor)? If you can find one close to its MSRP (a challenge at this moment mind you). Its only $30 more. The only difference would be in the DDR4 ram which fetches a slight premium ($10-20) at the 2800-300 range we recommend. Motherboards are about the same price too.

That said, if you are set on last gen, any midrange board will do, honestly. I would go for ASRock Extreme 6 as it is a really good bang for the buck around the $160 mark.

I don't already own an i7-4790K, but the reason I'm not going with the i7-6700K is because it looks like it's a lot more expensive online (Close to $500). But yea while we're talking about it, I think a newer 5th or 6th gen CPU would be awesome, but could I get a CPU better then the 4790K for $320 or less?

Last edited:
Your not going to find a Skylake processor for less than $320 that is better than the 4790. If you live by a micro center you could do a haswell e build with a 5820 that could be better if you can utilize the additional cores. Those are $320 right now but the board is going to be more expensive although there are options available aaround $200.

Back