• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which memory to get? ... Should i water cool?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TransformedBG

So Microcenter is running a good deal on the Intel I7-4890k $287.00 and since i got my tax return i went ahead and pick one up along with a Asus Z97-AR. was debating on that or the MSI gaming 7... but havent had a problem with previous Asus boards... Im just gunna move my video card over XFX 280x R9 and call that good for now.

My question is memory.

"3200(O.C.)/3100(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2500(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory" I have alway been baffle about this line.. i remember the days when it was 800mhz and done.. What memory would you suggest and why? I was looking at the DIMM QVL to see if i could shed some light on it.. but to no avail

Im debating on overclocking at the moment. If i do i think i want to build my first Water cooled system. I have never really got into it that much, except in the past with old thunderbird cpu's *when hitting 1Ghz was fun) and such.

4790K and its $279 (as it always is at MC - perhaps you added tax?).

As far as memory... I assume just for gaming and general use? Just grab some DDR3 2400 CL10 and call it a day. You won't gain any real world performance (unless you do heavy compute work?), but the price goes up after 2400Mhz. I would say 2133, but you use multiple GPUs and 2400 can actually help there. People here like GSkill, but really ram is ram man. They will all work as they say they would and nobody has a clue on DOA/return rates. Its just preference.

The QVL list is almost useless. 99% of the proper ram will work. The QVL list just shows what they tested. If something is not on the list that doesn't always mean it will not work. ;)

^ Everything ED mentioned, just choose a brand of RAM you feel most comfortable. I have personally stuck with G.Skill and Mushkin due to exemplary RMA service (most notably G.Skill).

Back