• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Um..newer chipsets? Looks like you've already made up your mind with the GA-EX38-DS4.

Almost.. but I'm always listening to some good arguments... but I am not gonna buy something only because it's newer..

I am also looking for a new MB, and it seems pretty clear that P45 or X48 is the choice to go if you have a 45nm Processor as they support higher FSB and overclocking, esp if you have a multiplier locked at 7.5 like my Q9300 or 8.5 on your Q9450.

I am teetering between 3 choices.
P5Q-E
P5E Deluxe (The DDR2 Version, but they have a DDR3 version too)
Asus Rampage

I am also looking for a new MB, and it seems pretty clear that P45 or X48 is the choice to go if you have a 45nm Processor as they support higher FSB and overclocking, esp if you have a multiplier locked at 7.5

both 1600MHz for X38 and X48

no need to buy a X48 just cuz its officially supported or its newer, its basically the same

dont get a hybrid Ram board, they have voltage issues. as in if your running DDR2 and you up the voltage. its uppping it more then your selecting. please get a DDR2 only or DDR3 only board...

Really? Where did you hear that? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I haven't been able to find any evidence (online or otherwise) to back that up. My hybrid board currently has DDR2 at 2.1v and I haven't had any issues. Are you saying that the board is overvolting the ram? How do you know?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Really? Where did you hear that? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I haven't been able to find anything to back that up. My hybrid board currently has DDR2 at 2.1v and I haven't had any issues. Are you saying that the board is overvolting the ram? How do you know?

Thanks.

maybe not all HYBRID boards do this but i did notice threads poping up. in which ram was dieing and the ram was not micron based. the ram died in 3 or 4 gigabyte hybrids and i recall one msi board. in ways the board cant detect which ram is being used for what voltage to apply. since DDR3 uses .2v less, ie DDR3-13333 cas8 or 9 needs 1.6v. ddr2-800 cas5 need 1.8v, i drew the conclusion with that the hybrid boards being the common denomintor in all the issues. as the ram brands and ics did vary, like i said non of the ic's were micron based. as you see threads of micron based ddr2 dieing at stock or even underclocked/undervolted. while i drew that conclustion it doesnt make it 100% correct since not all boards may do that. i do suggest to avoid them from what i saw. i really dont see any manufacture coming up saying its a issue since that would hurt sales and the sales of hybrids are not the big to start with. I am just tring to look out for the OP and others based on the threads i have seen pop up.

maybe not all HYBRID boards do this but i did notice threads poping up. in which ram was dieing and the ram was not micron based. the ram died in 3 or 4 gigabyte hybrids and i recall one msi board. in ways the board cant detect which ram is being used for what voltage to apply. since DDR3 uses .2v less, ie DDR3-13333 cas8 or 9 needs 1.6v. ddr2-800 cas5 need 1.8v, i drew the conclusion with that the hybrid boards being the common denomintor in all the issues. as the ram brands and ics did vary, like i said non of the ic's were micron based. as you see threads of micron based ddr2 dieing at stock or even underclocked/undervolted. while i drew that conclustion it doesnt make it 100% correct since not all boards may do that. i do suggest to avoid them from what i saw. i really dont see any manufacture coming up saying its a issue since that would hurt sales and the sales of hybrids are not the big to start with. I am just tring to look out for the OP and others based on the threads i have seen pop up.

OK, yeah, that's a logical conclusion. Thanks for the info! I'm wondering if I should bring my voltage down now...

By the way, what is micron based? Is my RAM micron based?

P.S. - Sorry OP, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread! :)

its possible to be micron based ram, OCZ and others use micron ic's for ram. ther are other brands of IC's like powerchip/promos/samsung/ect. this is a list i use for referencing IC's per model of ram
http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/
the server is down as the person is moving servers. in the thread at xs i didnt see a date when it would be back up. :(
making it hard to say if its micron based or not, but i would have to say no. based on what i have seen with 4gig micron based kits.

are there any benefit in getting in ddr3 at this time?

I'm not aware of any. I think it's only good for next gen cpu, which is a new platform.

Stick with ddr2 as it is cheaper.

its possible to be micron based ram, OCZ and others use micron ic's for ram. ther are other brands of IC's like powerchip/promos/samsung/ect. this is a list i use for referencing IC's per model of ram
http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/
the server is down as the person is moving servers. in the thread at xs i didnt see a date when it would be back up. :(
making it hard to say if its micron based or not, but i would have to say no. based on what i have seen with 4gig micron based kits.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. This is very good info....I'll check again when that site is back up.

Just to be safe, I lowered my RAM voltage from 2.1 to 1.9. 2.1 is stock for my memory, but if it's being overvolted...well, that would certainly suck. It seems to be funtioning exactly the same, with no errors yet and the same timings, so I guess I'll run with that for now. You may have saved my RAM, but we may never know! LOL

are there any benefit in getting in ddr3 at this time?

I'm not aware of any. I think it's only good for next gen cpu, which is a new platform.

Stick with ddr2 as it is cheaper.

the only + to DDR3 is being able to to use higher FSB's on 1:1 ratio in ocing.

Well, my rig wasn't stable after all with the RAM at 1.9 volts (not at 4-4-4-15 timings anyway). It kept freezing and then when I would reboot it would sometimes hang and not load Windows properly. It even gave me the finger and set all the bios settings back to factory default. I had to bump it back up to 2.1v, so I guess the board isn't overvolting after all. Now it works just fine. Just thought I'd share...:beer:

Back