• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Mosfets to Cool on ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

herby

I now know my motherboard isn't really suited for overclocking, and Asus' design probably save my bacon all the time I cursing it for throttling. That said, I still want to squeeze a little more power out of this board.

I figure the only thing I can do is cool down the mosfets a bit with aftermarket heat sinks.

But which mosfets?
69i6g.jpg

• I'm sure the Red mosfets need cooling. I guess those are the 4+1 phases.
  • However I don't know about the Green above them.

• The Orange next to the Northbridge.

• Or the Blue Mosfet off by itself.
BPzxO.gif
Then of course, there are other mosfets all over the board I just marked in Yellow.

• Four by the 24-Pin Connector/Ram.

• Four by the Southbridge.

• And another lonely one in the middle of the PCI-e slots.

If I had to guess, I would say cooling the ones marked in Red is absolutely necessary, but I have no idea about the others. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System Specs:
MOBO: ASUS M4A88TD-M CPU: AMD 1090T
HEATSINK: Corsair H70 GPU: Sapphire 6950 HD
RAM: Corsair XMS 1600Mhz/8GB HDD: Crucial M4 128GB

Yes the red ones. But I just want to warn you that even with added coper heat sinks my MSI board burst into flames (really) with a 555BE in x4 mode at 4GHz. BURST INTO FLAMES!

Or I should say burst into a FLARE! One of the mosfets lit up like the 4th of july with a great bright white fizzing flame.

The TDP on that processor is 140 I believe. Which is on the higher end of power requirements. I guess you could say just using that CPU is probably hard enough on that board.

Good luck

I'll keep my overclock conservative, but I'd like to sink the mosfets in any case. How about the Green chips (the drivers I think), do they need anything?

Edited: Touching them they do seem to get pretty hot under load.

Last edited:
Red and Green. Those are the high and low side MOSFETs for the CPU power.
With good heatsinking and some airflow you should be ok, but it's a good idea to check their temperature from time to time.

Its a 125W CPU...

But yeah, I would go easy or not overclock at all on that board frankly. Just not made for it like others are.

Back