• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which network switch should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Demon of Elru

Registered
Hey guys I am looking to expand my wired internet throughout my house, and was wondering if the TP-Link TL-SG1024S 24 port switch on Amazon or the D variant at Microcenter I guess the fan is the difference? I was also looking at a 24 port netgear on amazon but not sure if there is a difference. Does it matter much with switches? This is on my home network. Looking to run 5 wires to my room 2 or 3 to my brothers room and a few downstairs. I assume I need unmanaged.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779R9LJ...olid=2RZQNN05G36KW&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AX8XGQ...olid=2RZQNN05G36KW&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

both switches will get the job done, so it's more of just a brand preference, in my experience both brands have been great.

Managed and unmanaged will both work and both will work right out of the box. Managed simply means that there are ways to log into the switch itself and do things like setting up VLANs, turning ports on/off and a host of other settings and features. There is nothing in your post that rules for or against managed/unmanaged. Unmanaged is more than fine for a home network. I have one of each managed/unmanaged and both are fully capable of streaming Netflix to my TV. ;)

I'm trying to say, you don't "need" a managed switch or unmanaged for that matter. If you just want a simple switch, an unmanaged one will do just fine. Both managed and unmanaged do the same job. One is just plug and play is all.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. If it really doesn't matter then I will pick the TP-Link switch since I have a TP-Link AC2300 router. Might as well keep it all together.

With that many wires running through the house, are these running through the walls or along the floor? Have you considered calling the ISP to install additional wall ports for access; one for upstairs and one for downstairs? Or WiFi options? I used to run 8-10 wires in a house shared with 3-4 other roomies (our internet ran through our cable line). No matter what I did, someone always tripped an Ethernet cord from time to time. TBF, we did have a lot of foot traffic with visitors and social events. We were able to get a third wall port installed to reduce the number of wires running along the floor (3 floor house).

I wish I could run them through the walls but I can't since it would be too costly. Not sure if my cable company runs ethernet wires that are not directly connected to the modem. The 5 wires in my new room is only one room away so a hole will be drilled and the wires will run along the wall. My brothers room the wires will run through the attic. And for downstairs the wires will run on the exterior on the house.

Thank you. I have my spool of cat6a ready. Ideally i would have every room except for kitchen bathrooms and closets wired through the walls with wall plates.

I wish I could run them through the walls but I can't since it would be too costly. Not sure if my cable company runs ethernet wires that are not directly connected to the modem. The 5 wires in my new room is only one room away so a hole will be drilled and the wires will run along the wall. My brothers room the wires will run through the attic. And for downstairs the wires will run on the exterior on the house.

Usually not but they can make referrals to third party contractors who will. Electricians will often do this as well but I wouldn't trust just any electrician with network stuff unless I was right there to make sure what I wanted done was done right.

Yeah I looked into it a month or so ago and the cost was far higher than I was willing to spend. Running wire through existing wall is a lot harder than an open wall.

i just ran mine into my walls myself, its super easy if you have attic access. wall plates are easy as well.

My attic has slopped walls so it makes it harder to do that. Plus I myself have never done anything like that without someone else around so I would feel uncomfortable do it.

If this will be located in a cool place (the basement for example) I would go with the one with passive (no fan) cooling. If a fan was needed on the NetGear, I would assume NetGear would have included it. So it either just does not get that warm, or it has larger heatsinks where needed - a good thing. Fan bearings eventually wear out. And when that does happen, motor seizure is likely and then you might start having heat related problems. So if no fan is needed in the first place, there will be no worries about fan problems later on.

Another problem with active (fan) cooling is fans suck in dust and other junk along with the air. That dust then blankets the very heat sensitive devices the fan is supposed to be cooling. No fan, no dust.

According to these specs, the NetGear has an operating temperature range of 0° to 40°C (32° to 104°F). Attic insulation keeps the house under the attic cool or warm. The space directly under the roof can get extremely hot in the summer and extremely cold in the winter. That's fine for Ethernet cables, but not the electronics.

So if possible, I recommend placing this in a cool, dry and open space.

Thank for the post. This will be going in my old bedroom right next to the router. I wish I could do a more professional setup but my house isn't setup for a network run nor do I have conduit. The room gets hot in the summer but there is AC in there.

The room gets hot in the summer but there is AC in there.
In most cases, electronics works just fine if the environment is suitable for "creature comfort". That is, if humans can tolerate the room temperature, in most cases, so can the electronics - assuming there is space around the device to allow for ventilation.

Yes definitely there will be plenty of space around the unit. The tp link one is the one I am looking at since as I said I have a tp link router so might as well keep my networking devices from the same manufacturer.

Yes definitely there will be plenty of space around the unit. The tp link one is the one I am looking at since as I said I have a tp link router so might as well keep my networking devices from the same manufacturer.

That is fine and all but just as an FYI, I have no two devices from the same manufacturer. I have a modem, router, unmanaged switch, managed PoE switch and WAP. All different brands.

Well, I hate, I mean I really hate fan noise. Its about as irritating as a mosquito buzzing around my ear. I realize you said this is going into an "old" bedroom, but that still suggests someone at some time will sleep (or try to sleep) in there. Do you know anyone who can sleep with a mosquito buzzing around them all the time?

Even top quality case cooling fans that are designed to be quiet make noise when they spin up. Network devices are typically expected to be located in some remote place - a basement, or utilities closet. I have no doubt the fan in that TP-Link is on the small size (meaning it has to spin faster to move more air) and designed for cooling, not silent running.

so might as well keep my networking devices from the same manufacturer.
Technically speaking, there is absolutely no logic in that. Ethernet is Ethernet and Ethernet protocols are established by "The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers" (IEEE) and not by NetGear, TP Link or even Apple. In fact, the IEEE 802.3 Ethernet standard is what allows consumers to mix and match manufacturers of our network devices and be assured they will all be 100% compatible.

Are the NICs (network interface cards) in all your connected devices made by TP Link? A steak dinner says "no". If aesthetics mattered, having hardware with matching looks might be a concern. But 24-port switches have "industrial" looks. They are not designed to be aesthetically pleasing. I'm just saying, just because your router is TP Link, that is no reason to pick a TP Link switch. Your router might die next year, or you might decide to upgrade to WiFi 6 (802.11ax) and then what?

The old bedroom won't have anyone staying there, its just the two of us. I understand your point about the same manufacturing, chalk it up to my own personal pet peeve. :)

The old bedroom won't have anyone staying there, its just the two of us. I understand your point about the same manufacturing, chalk it up to my own personal pet peeve. :)

There is nothing wrong with keeping the same brand and since you didn't set out to only get a TP-Link, I'd say that you have no problem. It was only an afterthought when all else seemed equal. I was only saying, and I think the others are saying that you don't need any brand loyalty if you don't want to.

Guys at work feel like for the price of TP-Link, if they were of poor quality and died, they could replace them often and still save money. I've always had the stance of trying to buy the best quality that I can afford to avoid getting yelled at by my family if the internet goes down too often. ;)

Back