• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which network switch should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
While it is true that "Ethernet is Ethernet", there is an advantage when you go into the "prosumer" grade to get all the same networking equipment. This is "Overclockers" after all.

I personally was bitten by the UniFi bug. According to my 15 year old son and his friends, we have "the best internet ever". All of my network gear is UniFi equipment:

- USG Pro 4 (UniFi Security Gateway...router and firewall)
- 1 x 6 Port PoE 10 Gbps switch
- 1 x 16 Port PoE Switch
- 2 x 8 Port PoE Switches
- 2 x AC Pro Access Points (for the WiFi)
- UniFi Cloud Key Gen 2 Plus (Runs the UniFi Controller software and UniFi Protect NVR Software)
- 3 x G3 Flex UniFi video cameras
- 2 x G3 Pro UniFi video cameras
- 1 x G4 Pro UniFi video cameras

The UniFi equipment is higher end hardware than any consumer grade...and costs slightly more. You control and configure all devices through their UniFi controller software. (You can run this on their hardware, a Windows Box, a Linux Box, inside a VM, etc.) The Controller software gives you a web GUI to totally configure and control your network. One-stop to do all the managed switch setup, router configure, firewall rules, etc...examples:

- Want to add a VLAN? No problem...add a VLAN in the "networks" section and it has rippled out through your network.
- Want to only allow specific VLANs on specific ports? No problem...just click on the switch and the ports.
- Want multiple SSIDs? No problem...just add in an SSID, tell it you want it for 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, or both...bam it's configured.
- Want to associate specific WiFi SSIDs to specific VLANS? No problem...click click and you are done.
- Want to setup a firewall rule between VLAN A and VLAN B? No problem...click click and you are done.
- Want to know what type of network traffic is going to which device? Click...pull up data and slice and dice to your heart's content.
- And much...much...much...more

(This is Overlclockers after all!)

And...you have to admit that these are SEXY and aesthetically pleasing!

Access Point (AC Pro):
unifi-ap-ac-pro-features-dual-band-compare.jpg

USG Pro 4:
usg-pro4-fiber-connectivity.jpg

16 Port, 150W PoE Switch:
unifi-switch-16-ports.jpg

6 Port 10 Gbps PoE Switch:
us-xg-6poe-deploy.jpg

8 Port, 150 W PoE Switch:
unifi-switch-ports.jpg

8 Port, 60 W PoE Switch:
unifi-switch8-features-managed1.jpg

Cloud Key Gen 2 Plus:
869d7d3cadc71df5f620263f7672966a.png

G3 Flex Video Camera (1080p):
e49478adbf1fab24674c6c275ae66a80.png

G3-Pro Video Camera (1080p):
g3-pro-feature-versatile-mounting.jpg

G4-Pro Video Camera (4K):
g4-pro-feature-versatile-mounting.jpg

Here is a picture of it all racked up:
IMG_2080.JPG

Top to Bottom in the Rack:
- PDU (Power Distribution Unit)...AKA a power strip
- UniFi USG Pro 4
- Cable Routing
- UniFi 16 Port PoE Switch
- UniFi 6 Port 10 Gbps PoE Switch
- Cable Routing
- Shelf with:
--- Raspberry Pi 3 B+
--- 3 TB hard drive (for NAS backup)
--- 10 TB hard drive (for NAS backup)
--- Spectrum Cable Modem
--- QNAP TS-453A 4 bay NAS (4x5 TB in RAID 5...backup for Main NAS)
- QNAP TVS-1272XU 12 bay NAS (8x4 TB in RAID 6...Main NAS)
- 2U Drawer
- 5U Drawer
- CyberPower 1500VA/1500W 2U UPS (with ethernet card)

The 2 x 8 port switches are in other locations in the house (family room and living room). One Access Point is my my office, and the other is in the family room...covers a 3,500 ft^2 house all on one level.

(Not trying to highjack the thread...just adding some clarification and data to earlier statements.)

Last edited:
I agree, there's nothing wrong with sticking with the same brand - as long as quality and value is not sacrificed just to have that logo on the product.

JrClocker said:
While it is true that "Ethernet is Ethernet", there is an advantage when you go into the "prosumer" grade to get all the same networking equipment. This is "Overclockers" after all.
Except nothing you said after that indicates or proves there is any advantage to sticking with one brand - either in a professional or home consumer environment - especially for the OP.

Yeah, your stuff "looks" nice and matches. And there is certainly an advantage to having one UI to manage it all. But "Ethernet is still Ethernet". If your cameras only work with the same brand switches, that's a huge disadvantage, not advantage. Even if the OP was getting a managed switch (which he is not), there is nothing in his current TP-Link router that would make managing a TP-Link switch easier or better.

There is no reason one could not buy this set of cameras, connect them to a home network that uses a D-Link or Linksys wireless router and have them work just fine too - and still be able to monitor them via Windows or smart phone.

When it comes to Ethernet networking, the only reason for a "need" to stick with one brand would be if there was something proprietary going on. And what you are suggesting is "proprietary" is better. Proprietary is NEVER better for consumers as it always results in higher costs and fewer options for the consumer. And in the case where proprietary supplants industry standards (like IEEE or ATX), proprietary doesn't even suggest better performance (which is what Overclockers is about, no?).

Your network is "the best internet ever" because you were wise enough to "invest" in good stuff. Not because it is all from the same manufacturer.

Ethernet is Ethernet. If brand A doesn't work with brand B, then one of them has an issue.

Wasn't looking to get into a debate here...Was just trying to show that you can get bling and performance. I don't think I made my point well...and don't feel like word-smithing to continue any debate.

/signing off

If brand A doesn't work with brand B, then one of them has an issue.
Well sure. But do you have an example where a specific brand of "Ethernet" devices won't work with other brands? You are suggesting that is a problem now. That's the issue here. As a consultant, I sure would be interested in knowing if there are specific brands that won't work with other brands before I recommend this router or that modem or this switch to a client, or to a poster here on Overclockers.

Was just trying to show that you can get bling and performance.
I understand that. But there was never any denying that. In fact, I mentioned "aesthetics" in post #18 early yesterday. Nor was there any denial about performance - other than disputing any suggestion (intentional or not) that sticking with the same brand will get you "better" performance.

To be sure, Linksys, D-Link, NetGear, TP-Link and even Unifi all want their Ethernet devices to be fully compliant with the IEEE standards - just so potential buyers can include those brands in their networks. And those standards include "performance" standards.

I'm not looking for a debate either. I just don't want readers to get the impression they have to stick with one brand to ensure compatibility or maximum performance across their networks. Because they don't. All they need to do is to ensure any product under consideration complies with the applicable IEEE standards - which those products must do if they are marketed as compliant.

/signing on

OK - I reread my post about a zillion times...never said any of that...even though I agree with your points.

I said "there is an advantage when you go into the "prosumer" grade to get all the same networking equipment. This is "Overclockers" after all."

And...I gave my personal example of prosumer grade (UniFi) and why.

And this IS Overclockers...and we do push for maximum performance...otherwise, why overclock your "standard" LGA1151 socket processor or "standard" DRAM.

/signing off

And this IS Overclockers...and we do push for maximum performance...
:( I thought we were going to be on the same page - until you said that.

Once again you are implying better performance. Not happening - regardless if you go with all the same brand, and/or if you go with your "prosumer" solution. Prosumer switches are not "overclocked". They do not have greater bandwidth or faster speeds. They may have more ports, they may be managed, but they comply with the same IEEE standards as simple home switches do. So it is nothing akin to overclocking a CPU or RAM - or the fact this is Overclockers.

:( I thought we were going to be on the same page - until you said that.

Once again you are implying better performance. Not happening - regardless if you go with all the same brand, and/or if you go with your "prosumer" solution. Prosumer switches are not "overclocked". They do not have greater bandwidth or faster speeds. They may have more ports, they may be managed, but they comply with the same IEEE standards as simple home switches do. So it is nothing akin to overclocking a CPU or RAM - or the fact this is Overclockers.

OK - sigh - this is getting frustrating...but...

Nowhere...nowhere...nowhere...did I say I was going to overclock the CPU or memory on any portion of my network devices. I did not even imply that these devices where overlocked in anyway by the manufacturer. I made the analogy to getting maximum performance out of a PC and maximum performance out of a network. Yes that's an analogy, but I didn't think I needed to say it was an analogy for you to figure it out.

While all network bits and pieces have to comply with the IEEE specs in order to work with other devices, they are most definitely not the same. In other words, networking equipment is not a commodity, and there are different tiers you can purchase in regards to this (just like anything else.) Rather than explain to you the difference between a $30 and a $100 8 port network switch, do your own research.

Overclockers is "The Performance Computing Community"...and we look for performance everywhere...because it's fun. I don't NEED to overclock my memory to get the extra 1% performance...I CHOOSE to because it's fun. I don't NEED to put higher end networking equipment into my house...I CHOOSE to because it's fun. I don't currently NEED a 10 Gbps link...oh wait...yes I do...and it's fun!

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled programming, taking care of the OP, please. If you want to figure it out further, take it to PM! :)

Back