• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which one.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardass

I have a PC-DL with 2x 1.6 @ 2.4 xeons at work. What is the best F@H program I can run on it without maxing out cpu usage. I know I can run a couple of the older ones. Is there a newer version I could run for a bit more points a day?

Are these Hyperthreading Xeons? The best version to run on that system is two instances of the 5.04 console client. If you do not want 100% CPU utilization then configure the clients(s) so that they use less than that amount during the installation procedure. Also, to receive the new bonus Amber WUs, I have found that the 'clienttype' in the client.cfg file needs to be set to a value of 3, otherwise I do not receive the bonus WUs. The bonus WUs are worth 1.5x to 2x the average points, so you'll definitely want to work on those.

Stanford frowns upon using two instances of the classic 5.04 console client with a single HyperThreaded CPU. You'll get a little more ppd, but slow down the science being done.

Are these Hyperthreading Xeons? The best version to run on that system is two instances of the 5.04 console client. If you do not want 100% CPU utilization then configure the clients(s) so that they use less than that amount during the installation procedure. Also, to receive the new bonus Amber WUs, I have found that the 'clienttype' in the client.cfg file needs to be set to a value of 3, otherwise I do not receive the bonus WUs. The bonus WUs are worth 1.5x to 2x the average points, so you'll definitely want to work on those.

I do not see clienttype in client conf file. Here is what I have.
[settings]
username=Hardass
team=32
asknet=no
machineid=1

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no

[core]
cpuusage=75

Well I got a Amber wu and did not change anything except usage.

Stanford frowns upon using two instances of the classic 5.04 console client with a single HyperThreaded CPU. You'll get a little more ppd, but slow down the science being done.
I didn't advocate installing 4 clients, but was just curious on the specs. He has a dual socket Xeon system and I specifically stated 2 instances, one for each physical CPU. Besides, Stanford frowns on many things including VMs, yet tons of users employ them. My general rule of thumb is if the WU can be completed within the preferred deadline, it's good enough to work on with the existing hardware.

Well I got a Amber wu and did not change anything except usage.
Clienttype is usually found in the client.cfg file and the values that can be adjusted under that setting are 'memory' and 'type'. The Amber WU you received, what project number is it? Any WU with a project number that looks like this, 45xx are the bonus WUs.

4401 and 4432, 15 points and 225
Those two WUs are regular WUs and not the bonus Amber units with 1.5x-2x the production value. You will get much better PPD if you can configure your clients to receive the bonus WUs. I had problems with mine and the only way I found after hours of trying various setups is to change the client type. Even the -advmethods flag didn't always consistently receive the bonus WUs.

Those two WUs are regular WUs and not the bonus Amber units with 1.5x-2x the production value. You will get much better PPD if you can configure your clients to receive the bonus WUs. I had problems with mine and the only way I found after hours of trying various setups is to change the client type. Even the -advmethods flag didn't always consistently receive the bonus WUs.

I have posted what is inside my client file. I am running the 5.04 beta

Do I need to change any other settings, such as when it ask about large wu?

I have posted what is inside my client file. I am running the 5.04 beta
I think I remember certain clients installs in the past where there were some settings missing but you can always add them in manually and the client will still read them. If you just wish to fold on a casual basis then your installations are fine. However, if you want to maximize your system's potential, then you will desire to work on the bonus WUs.

Here's what a typical client.cfg file on my systems looks like:

asknet=no
bigpackets=no
machineid=2
local=26

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no

[core]
priority=0
cpuusage=100
disableassembly=no
ignoredeadlines=no

[power]
battery=no

[clienttype]
memory=256
type=3

In my case, I even moved some of my older systems that had previously worked on the SMP client to the standard client because the bonus WUs were more attractive.

Changed ram to 256 and changed adv-method to yes and pulled 2x 4557 wu's.:) And client cfg file looks correct now.

Back