• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Service Pack do you have installed for XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What XP Service Pack do you have installed?

• None

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Service Pack 1

Votes: 134 28.9%
  • Service Pack 2

Votes: 309 66.6%
  • I scoff at Windows.

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters
You can still download the network install for SP1. If you did a SP2 slipstream install, you can't uninstall SP2.

I build machines on the side too.

On my 2, SP1. & some *cough* critical updates.

I usually let customers do thier own SP updates, unless requested.

SP2? /rotflmao :D

/M$ world domination anyone?

my .02 tho.

i have sp2 running in corporate edition, and there's no problem with it.

the main reason i see for running sp2 is so that windows update doesn't constantly bother you. because some of the updates are actually useful and/or important, but if you don't do the sp2 update, it will constantly bother you and take up system resources by trying to bother you in the background.

i hate microsoft. but there are all those compatibility issues when you run mac and linux. no games, waiting longer for the few games you can run, and less hardware upgrades (not that those are really necessary in a mac, but still... you get what i mean).

sevendevilhell said:
i have sp2 running in corporate edition, and there's no problem with it.

the main reason i see for running sp2 is so that windows update doesn't constantly bother you. because some of the updates are actually useful and/or important, but if you don't do the sp2 update, it will constantly bother you and take up system resources by trying to bother you in the background.

i hate microsoft. but there are all those compatibility issues when you run mac and linux. no games, waiting longer for the few games you can run, and less hardware upgrades (not that those are really necessary in a mac, but still... you get what i mean).
You can disable WU and manually DL & install the patches based on your needs. I never get nagged and I'm always up to date.

I got SP2 on my main rig...it causes a few problems with IE, but other than that it is smooth sailing.

I put SP2 on a fresh windows install, and worked out from there. No problems.

Installed SP2 on existing install of work PC - no problems.

Still running the old WinXP PRO with no SP at all...(third year by now)

Tried installing SP1 on ordinary WinXP pro installation at my laptop, and it screwed up the laptop :( ...so I've decided to stay away from those updates...until I get a new computer....next month :D

Cheers, Luque

sp2 takes alot more to load
sp2 creates some problems with professional programs

sp1 does not have a reliable firewall (never use WINDOWS firewall...i`m using 3rd party)
sp1 loads faster
sp1 is stable where sp2 isnt

Doing my normal let the service pack be out 6+ mo. before installing it so I won't screw my computer with it. Learned my windows update lesson when Gmax refused to run becuase of a fruity "update" :eek:

Running SP2 since it was released with XP Corp , so far all is well . I do have a problem with my Lite-on CD-RW not wanting to burn anymore (reads disks fine) but Iam sure its not SP2 related as this problem arose on and off BEFORE the SP2 install .

*edit*
My problem with my Lite-on drive not being able to burn was NOT SP2 related !

Last edited:
Microsoft is kindof forcing everyone onto sp2 now. I've put it on about 25 machines with only minor issues. On the machines where I did a fresh install of windows followed by sp2 I had zero problems. Some of the machines that I put it on that had been running for awhile had a few slowdown issues especially with office. It really is a pain to install because you can't rely on update services to deploy it because it needs a lot of care to tweak it.

Back